D&D 5E New 5E Game

DMAesh

Explorer
I graduated high school in 1985, and graduated law school in 1992. Started playing D&D with the Holmes Basic Box in about 1980 and was fully addicted beyond any hope of recovery by 1983.

My first encounter was the red box that my mother bought my sister and me. I fell in love with that box, and played the solo adventure over and over! Then, fast forward to '92, my sister was dating a marine, who let me play with them AD&D. My first magic item? Gauntlets of Ogre-kind, complete with the rumor that if I wore it too long, I would begin to take on the characteristics of an ogre! They were even using the training rules, where you had to spend time training to gain a level (once you gained enough XP)!

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks, but it's LEIF not what you said. And that rhymes with "chief," by the way. I generally am not too draconic about discussions of other games/systems. I figure if they're talking about that stuff in my game then that says something about where their loyalties truly lie.

And while we're on the subject, I don't know how much of the 1980's and 90's you children recall, but back then there was a plethora of add-ons to 1E AD&D, to the point where the game became unweildy. This led to 2E, which led to 3E, 3.5E, etc., etc. And now Pathfinder finds itself in the exact same position as its predecessors, where the tweaks and add-ons have taken precedence over the game. I see 5E as a re-set to simpler values -- ROLEPLAYING not character gimmicks.

Speaking of age, I'll be 50 tomorrow, eek!

Leif

Adventurer
My first encounter was the red box that my mother bought my sister and me. I fell in love with that box, and played the solo adventure over and over! Then, fast forward to '92, my sister was dating a marine, who let me play with them AD&D. My first magic item? Gauntlets of Ogre-kind, complete with the rumor that if I wore it too long, I would begin to take on the characteristics of an ogre! They were even using the training rules, where you had to spend time training to gain a level (once you gained enough XP)!

Yes, we used training to gain levels in the early- to mid-80's. First you acquire the xp, then you spend 1,000 - 1,500 gp per week, usually only for one week, to gain the level.* It made characters perpetually poor and thus perpetually hungry for adventure and treasure.

* I believe it may have been 1,000 per level per week, but honestly we didn't get above 2nd or 3rd level very oftem at all.

Last edited:

DMAesh

Explorer
It certainly made things interesting and I often considered using a similar house rule, though I do not give as much gold out as AD&D and 2nd edition used to, so I would have to reduce the gold cost... It is a good way to keep the PCs hungry for the next payday!

DMAesh

Explorer
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3KXeSDGPkAqWjctYjFKVHN6QU0

e059bbd7e178b45bfefdfa7f0e9d27bb.jpg

Meet Kiran! Rogue! (He's kind of like Mickey from Snatch, plan to take tavern brawler down the road.)

Remove ads