NEW Anti-Paladin & Paladin! Please review!

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Posted new changes to the classes. Please see top of original post for specifics edits. I'm thinking the classes are pretty much done at this point, so any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Very nice, done with a more customizeable feel to it ^^ Only gripe is, I guess, that the classes seem pretty powerful. Alot added, at no cost, really.

Just remember, fighters ARE supposed to beat other fighting classes, more or less, if it is a pure brawl. The other fighting classes must win through intelligent use of their class abilities.

Paladins sacrifice sheer fighting power for other abilities that help them in various ways, such as the cha bonus to saves, immunity to disease, courage aura, spells, etc. Also, don't forget the potency of a paladin's mount, heavy lance, and certain feats...*cough smackdown*

But, if your other classes have added benefits over their PHB counterparts, or you guys just can't seem to find paladins as satasfying, then this is an excellent class. I REALLY like this, (especially the blessings, I personally enjoy 3E and it's customization) if only that it could seem more balanced. Really don't see what could be taken out or transferred to the blessing table without making the classes have the same feel to them, however :( That said, you should probably leave it as is :D

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I think it looks pretty good now.

I must say that I concur with the other posters who don't think that paladins need this power increase (as a player of paladins in several games, I think that the higher level spells (Holy Sword, for instance), smite damage and mount improvements make the class worth taking from levels 1-20. In fact, I don't really see that there's even an open and shut case (from a powergaming perspective) for taking prestige classes at all as a paladin (I certainly don't plan on doing so with my Triton paladin in the Sea of Fallen Stars campaign I play in).

However, if you want to have buffer, more powerful paladins in your campaign, this is a good version to accomplish that task. (And, of course, as long as you're running an heroic campaign, bigger, buffer, more combat effective blackguards will never be a problem--it just lets you challenge the PCs with a lower level bad guy).

The modular design of this class will also make paladins distinct (and differentiate paladins of different deities). For instance, I doubt that any paladins of Wee Jas will take the weapon focus benefit but paladins of Heironeous probably will. . . .

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Thanks, you guys! :D

BTW: I changed the Heroic Surge feat (under blessings) so its extra partial action does not stack with a haste effect. Makes it a little less "buff" while still retaining its coolness factor.

Taloras

First Post
Forgive me if im wrong, but this..anti-paladin looks like an upgraded version of the Blackguard prestige class in the DMG.....am i right?

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
It is based more on the PHB paladin than the DMG blackguard, although I find both to be unsatisfying as written... thus, this new version for my campaign. :)

Last edited:

BMF

First Post
Hey, those are pretty cool!

I think they are a little too powerful, but not much. I might use them myself. :D If they need toning down, I'd suggest slowing down the rate at which they get their special divine feats. Maybe one level slower or so.

Personally, I'd like to see paladins and anti-paladins as PrC classes only, instread of standard classes. But these classes are cool too.

Remove ads