• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Core Classes: Love them or Leave them?

How do you feel about using new core classes? Pick all that apply.

MonsterMash

First Post
If it genuinely fills some sort of role that one of the existing ones does not, is balanced and it fits with the campaign setting then I'd ok it, but with crossclassing, feats and skills the existing set are pretty wideranging.

Navar

Explorer
If I were to make a Campaign world it would include the followlig classes

Barbarian
Bard
Fighter
Ranger
Rogue
Wizard (you have to specialize)

XPH
All psions
Psionic Warrior

Complete Series
Hexblade
Scout
Warlock

Arcana Evolved
Champion
Greenbound
Mage Blade
Magister
Oathsworn
Unfettered
Warmain
Witch

I think those 19 classes would allow for diversity. Of course if a player really wanted to play a Totem Warrior(or whatever) I might make an exception, but those are pretty much it. I would use the wizard spells for the wizard and the AE spells for the AE casters. I think the world would work very well. PrCs would be only gained from doing In Character stuff to gain them, and I would begin play at level 4.

The_Universe

First Post
I like the scout, but I really think most of the other options are better realized as prestige classes than base classes.

The scout is the only one that I'd really want to allow in a game.

DonTadow

First Post
Again, I'd watch mixing arcana unearthed with the traditional WOTC stuff, only because I don't think the two were well playtested against each other. THe mindblade in my campaign was overpowered in some aspects compared to the base classes I had.

I do think that the Arcana unearthed stuff is better designed, but Arcana's world is so specific that it's hard to integrate (especially considering spells in the system compared to the other d20 stuff).

Navar

Explorer
The_Universe said:
I like the scout, but I really think most of the other options are better realized as prestige classes than base classes.

The scout is the only one that I'd really want to allow in a game.

What about the warlock?
Edit: And hexblade?

DonTadow

First Post
I think the new WOTC produced Base Classes all serve a niche depending on what you're looking for. They new base classes are summoned up as either

Combo base classes
sorceror rogue= spellthief
ranger rogue= scout
fighter wizard= hexblade
cleric fighter = warpriest

or

alternative spell caster
warlock
favored soul

I think they serve a purpose for those characters who know from the start they want to be a combo of two classes but can't pick which one OR those who are not happy with the spell abilties of the cleric, sorceror and wizard

Andor

First Post
Sejs said:
Anyway, for me personally, I like the new base classes as presented and allow 'em in with the exception of the 4 oriental ones from the Complete series (samurai, shugenja, wu jen, ninja).

Interesting. I see lots of comments like this. I personally look at what is portrayed mechanically before I pay attention to the cultural trappings.

I personally think the Samurai (The OA/Rokugan one, not that complete warrior abortion) does a wonderfull job of portraying what the aristocracy in a DnD world should actually look like. Strong will save, 4 skill points per level and a skill list that would allow one to learn to become an effective govenor or general. Dump the Ancestral Daisho for a Lance and Longsword and swap out the feat list and you can portray Lancelot or Arthur or Prince Henry far better than a fighter or the NPC classes can. The fighter make for an awful leader thanks to his abysmal skill list, and the NPC classes don't allow for people who are as effective as DnD nobles would have to be. Of course that fact that the Samurai is in fact supposed to portray a feudal aristocrat explains this, neh?

As for the ninja I think he makes a pretty damm cool fantasy assasin regaurdless of the cultural trappings you want to dress him in. Give him necromantic trappings and you have an assasin who studies incorporal undead to gain creepy skills. Or turn that around and make a profession of ghost hunters, since ninjas are about the only class that can reliably whomp on incorporeal undead at low levels.

All you have to do is change the names and I think these are great classes for any feudal fantasy settings.

The_Universe

First Post
Navar said:
What about the warlock?
Edit: And hexblade?
I prefer a warrior/mage to be either the product of multiclassing or a prestige class in the case of the Hexblade. As for the warlock, I think that the general feel can be achieved with one of the two "core" arcane spellcasting classes.

But YMMV. I'm not offended if YOU use them. I just don't particularly like them.

DonTadow

First Post
Andor said:
Interesting. I see lots of comments like this. I personally look at what is portrayed mechanically before I pay attention to the cultural trappings.

I personally think the Samurai (The OA/Rokugan one, not that complete warrior abortion) does a wonderfull job of portraying what the aristocracy in a DnD world should actually look like. Strong will save, 4 skill points per level and a skill list that would allow one to learn to become an effective govenor or general. Dump the Ancestral Daisho for a Lance and Longsword and swap out the feat list and you can portray Lancelot or Arthur or Prince Henry far better than a fighter or the NPC classes can. The fighter make for an awful leader thanks to his abysmal skill list, and the NPC classes don't allow for people who are as effective as DnD nobles would have to be. Of course that fact that the Samurai is in fact supposed to portray a feudal aristocrat explains this, neh?

As for the ninja I think he makes a pretty damm cool fantasy assasin regaurdless of the cultural trappings you want to dress him in. Give him necromantic trappings and you have an assasin who studies incorporal undead to gain creepy skills. Or turn that around and make a profession of ghost hunters, since ninjas are about the only class that can reliably whomp on incorporeal undead at low levels.

All you have to do is change the names and I think these are great classes for any feudal fantasy settings.

That could be why the Samarai was the only one of those classes allowed in my game. IT was more than just an alterantive fighting class as I found the skill set useful fora character whom had fighter qualities but was a noblemen in character.

Plus in my Final Fantasy Campaign, it was the only class I could see that leads "logically" into the dragoons of the game.

Remove ads