• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DDI aps

Dausuul

Legend
I might shell out $5/month for the magazines. Nothing else I've seen so far has impressed me in the least. I had high hopes for the rules compendium, but the interface is so rudimentary - I'd hoped they would at least approach the standard set by d20srd.org.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I might shell out $5/month for the magazines. Nothing else I've seen so far has impressed me in the least. I had high hopes for the rules compendium, but the interface is so rudimentary - I'd hoped they would at least approach the standard set by d20srd.org.

I suspect the reason they haven't done something like that is that they want to make it difficult to play from directly. With the srd, you basically didn't need the rulebook, and I think they want to avoid that situation.

If that understanding is correct, I think what they have is pretty reasonable. It works fine as a reference when you're AFB, but doesn't replace the book.

rkanodia

First Post
Unlike the D20 SRD, though, this 'compendium' has a monthly subscription attached. It SHOULD be able to replace the books. To put it another way: they want me to pay $60 a year to use it, but sometimes the thing I want to find is not going to be in there, so I need to shell out another $60 and then lug around some dead trees in addition to my laptop?

keterys

First Post
Certain aspects of these tools were awaiting a new server and infrastructure that has been significantly delayed past when they expected it - so supposedly they've been forced to do partial offerings and retool some things to work under the old way.

Not one thing, it's another, in this kinda thing. Really matters the most how it looks when they finally start charging.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Unlike the D20 SRD, though, this 'compendium' has a monthly subscription attached. It SHOULD be able to replace the books.
A fair opinion, but my bet is that even with the subscription, they want you to buy the books too. (Or if you don't want the dead trees, you'd buy the pdf.)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I like the encounter app. I wish it was tied to the Compendium (and that the Compendium included the full MM stats) so it could print the full stats on each creature you add to the encounter.

Verision

First Post
I just hope they'll let us playtest the game table before making us shell out for year's subscription. If there is no playtest period (I.E. Free trial) than I will shun it like leper.

keterys

First Post
There will be both a free trial period and a test period. You can also get guest passes from subscribers to try them out.

Remove ads