New DM seeks interest in PFRPG PBP - Crypt of the Everflame

renau1g

First Post
As a current DM here, it's easy to grab the first X players that sign up, I've changed my selection method to set a date and ask for submissions until then. However its your call, if you're anxious to get underway, the only one I haven't gamed with is rangerjohn here and know they're all good folks (most are on here).

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
As a current DM here, it's easy to grab the first X players that sign up, I've changed my selection method to set a date and ask for submissions until then. However its your call, if you're anxious to get underway, the only one I haven't gamed with is rangerjohn here and know they're all good folks (most are on here).

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the advice, renau1g. I wouldn't mind doing something similar, but I don't want to come across as arrogant or exclusive (I don't have your advantage of 6000+ posts on which to stake a reputation ;)). On the other hand, it seems that the most balanced and compatible playgroup might be found by being patient, and I think I must place my priorities there. I'll wait and see who else throws a hat in the ring for at least 24 hours, and we'll proceed from there.

For those who are interested so far, what sort of characters did you have in mind?

Theroc

First Post
In my experience games are largely "First come, first served" but not always, and it often depends what the DM is seeking. If you're looking for a certain level of role playing or roll playing, you may want to look at applications and choose based on that.

Either method works, so it's whichever you'd prefer, I'd say.

Rhun

First Post
While first come first serve isn't always the most "fair" way to select players, it will at least give you the number of players you need in the quickest amount of time. The problem I've seen with having everyone post characters and then choosing the ones you think best fit is that you end up just accepting everyone, because you don't have the heart to turn anyone down or think all the characters are great. Thus, you end up with far more players than you originally anticipated. I speak from experience on this. :D

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
In my experience games are largely "First come, first served" but not always, and it often depends what the DM is seeking. If you're looking for a certain level of role playing or roll playing, you may want to look at applications and choose based on that.

Either method works, so it's whichever you'd prefer, I'd say.

Excellent advice, thank you Theroc! I've perused the boards quite a bit, and it looks to me like I'd be fine with the five players who have already jumped in the pool. So, I've decided to just go ahead with the following players:

Fenris
rangerjohn
Rhun
ethandrew
Queenie

Welcome one and all! Now, we know that Rhun already has a barbarian ready to go, and rangerjohn is interested in playing an elven wizard. Great so far. What do the rest of you have in mind?

Rhun

First Post
You may want to post your character creation guidelines, BAJ...you know, how many point buy to use for attributes, number of traits, etc, etc. Basically anything that could vary from game to game. Also, any house rules you may use. :D

ethandrew

First Post
Since I'm new to Pathfinder, I should probably play something generally easy in terms of mechanics. I'm feeling like some sort of secondary fighter, be it ranged or two weaponed, or whatnot. But looking at the pathfinder srd, things look pretty standard, so I'm curious where the deviations lie.

Hmm, okay. I realize I'm doing a running commentary post as I type, go read the srd some, type some more, anyway, it's less than engaging, but it also gives me more ideas. That being said, I'll do a wait and see, allow the other players to play whatever they choose and I'll fill in the gaps as best as I can.

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
Now a few words about character backgrounds. All of the PCs should be native to the town of Kassen. They most likely would all know each other, and may even be close friends (or rivals?). The background information below details a bit of information about the town's founder and local hero, Ekat Kassen, and why the Crypt of the Everflame is so important to the town. All of the locals should know at least the bare bones of this story, so I don't consider it very spoiler-ish.

Now, for the first time in four years, the mayor is going to send some young 'heroes' to the Crypt to recover the undying flame and signal the end of the harvest (guess who?). This is where the game will commence.

In order to further help you create a plausible background for your characters, I will post some information about an NPC in town who might act as something of a mentor to your PC. You aren't required to use it, but it may help you add some detail to your background.

[sblock=Adventure Background]Ekat Kassen was a crusader and fortune seeker who came to serve Lastwall in the year 4515 ar. While he fought with distinction, he soon realized that he wanted more from life and left the Lastwall military to find his fortune elsewhere. His travels took him all over the region around Lake Encarthan, and he decided to settle down in 4522 after a very profitable adventure. Using a sizable portion of his fortune, he set out to tame a small area of the Fangwood on the banks of the Tourondel River, making it a natural stopover for those traveling up and down the river to Skelt. For the next 10 years, the town, which was then known as Kassen’s Hold, grew and prospered.

All that changed when Asar Vergas came to Kassen’s Hold with a host of mercenaries under his command. Asar was an old companion of Ekat, and the two had traveled together for some time before splitting up just after Ekat’s last adventure. Over the years, Asar became sure that Ekat had cheated him after that adventure. Promising great wealth to his mercenaries, Asar raided the town relentlessly for 2 months. Finally, the townsfolk managed to locate Asar’s camp in an ancient crypt deep in the forest, and Ekat himself went out to deal with his old companion. The battle was terribly bloody, with only a few townsfolk coming back to tell the tale. In the end, Asar was slain and his mercenaries scattered, but Ekat suffered a mortal wound. He died 2 days later, on the 11th day of Neth, 4535. In honor of their beloved founder, the townsfolk buried Kassen in the ancient crypt, interring his bones in a place of honor, above the simple sarcophagi used to inter Asar, his mercenaries, and the townsfolk that lost their lives in the bitter struggle. They placed an eternal flame above Kassen’s final resting place, so that all who visited might find warmth in the wilderness.

Over the years, the Crypt of the Everflame has become an important part of the history of the town, now simply called Kassen. The townsfolk view the crypt as a memorial to those difficult first years of the town’s history. Every autumn, a few of the townsfolk make a pilgrimage to the crypt to light a lantern from the flame and bring it back to town, where it is preserved all winter, a symbol of the town’s resilience. Most years, the town mayor and a group of dignitaries perform this quest. Every few years, however, a handful of younger townsfolk are given the honor of lighting the lantern. Many see this as a passage into adulthood, a taste of adventure before settling down to work and marriage. The quest starts out as a solemn ceremony in town, where the townsfolk gather to wish the adventurers luck, just as it was when Kassen himself left to fight the mercenaries. When the adventurers return a few days later, the town holds a great celebration in their honor. This also marks the final harvest celebration before the long winter.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Since I'm new to Pathfinder, I should probably play something generally easy in terms of mechanics. I'm feeling like some sort of secondary fighter, be it ranged or two weaponed, or whatnot. But looking at the pathfinder srd, things look pretty standard, so I'm curious where the deviations lie.

It is very similar to 3.5 ethandrew. The major differences are in the races, classes, etc. Pretty much everything is in the SRD. Oh, and if you take a look at my PC and use him as kind of a guideline, it should be a good place to start as far as differences are concerned.

Last edited:

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
You may want to post your character creation guidelines, BAJ...you know, how many point buy to use for attributes, number of traits, etc, etc. Basically anything that could vary from game to game. Also, any house rules you may use. :D

Most certainly! I intend to stick to the book as closely as we can for this game, since it's a learning process for some (including me). That said, we may always find that we need to adjust something on the fly, but for now here's what I've got.

1. 1st level characters

2. 20 point buy for ability scores

3. Maximum hit points at first level

4. No evil alignments

5. Average starting gold per class

6. Two traits to start (only one of which can be a combat trait)

7. Please write up a background and description (preferably to include some links to your mentor and the other PCs)

Anything I've forgotten?

Remove ads