• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Excerpts - Tome of Battle & Dragons of Faerun

Sammael

Adventurer
I'd much rather have weapon-specific feats apply to weapon groups (as per Unearthed Arcana). This ability screams ADD to me (can't... stay... focused... on... one... weapon... for... long).

Deadguy

First Post
gribble said:
Yeah, I got the bit about changing your prepared maneuvers and regaining already expended maneuvers being seperate things. Thats cool, and the above interpretations were the same as I had on first glance. It's just that it seems a little contradictory and confusing to interchange "once per encounter" with "a swift action followed by an attack (without maneuvers)". I can see a *lot* of warblades taking this option and using prepared maneuvers multiple times per "encounter".
I would say that's the intent. He has a certain number of tools available to him and he can reuse them. But note that many manoeuvres look like they will be Swift or Immediate actions, so recovering the use of manoeuvres precludes using a manoeuvre that round. That's the sort of decision I like to see in combat.

BryonD

Hero
Plane Sailing said:
I'll certainly be looking at the book. My hope is that combat manouvres and stances can be integrated easily into existing classes. If they can, it could be great. If they can't then I'm not going to be so interested.
The feats list a feat for learning a stance and one for learning a manuever.
Each is listed as available as fighter bonus feats.
This seems to indicate that other classes can use some of this.

BryonD

Hero
Vital Recovery
Prereq: Two martial maneuvers
Heal 3 + level points of damage when you recover a maneuver

hmmmm
A fighter type that can heal himself as a free bonus to a swift action every other round?

gribble

Explorer
BryonD said:
A fighter type that can heal himself as a free bonus to a swift action every other round?

There was a 9th level maneuver quoted on one of the other threads that deals +100 damage. I can see a nasty combo:
round 1: use maneuver, deal +100 damage
round 2: replenish maneuver, heal 20 damage (assume 17th level to get 9th level maneuvers), make full attack sans maneuvers (but still using any applicable stance, which may make the combo even nastier).

rinse, repeat.

Okay, but does anyone else think this

dx0801ex2_99660.jpg

looks like "Tasselhoff Burrfoot, kender paladin?"

gribble

Explorer
And not wanting to throw gasoline on a mostly extinguished fire, but:

Given that FCI had wimped down, non-epic, stats for the various demon princes so that they could actually be usable in the majority of games: Whats with the CR 40 dragon in the excerpt from Dragons of Faerun???
:\

Surely they should have made them all CR 24 or less, and included rules for "advancing" them to epic levels?

Last edited:

gribble

Explorer
gribble said:
There was a 9th level maneuver quoted on one of the other threads that deals +100 damage. I can see a nasty combo:
round 1: use maneuver, deal +100 damage
round 2: replenish maneuver, heal 20 damage (assume 17th level to get 9th level maneuvers), make full attack sans maneuvers (but still using any applicable stance, which may make the combo even nastier).

rinse, repeat.

Some equally good maneuvers to use in round 1 of the combo:
  • Time Stands Still (Diamond Mind 9) allows two full attack actions.
  • Strike of Righteous Vitality (Devoted Spirit 9) heals you or an ally when you successfully attack. I mean Heal as in the spell.
  • Feral Death Blow (Tiger Claw 9) is an instant kill or 20d6 extra damage.

Ouch...

Remove ads