New feats (considered for E6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Explorer
Hey guys, just to clarify, here's my comments on the Cautious Approach vs. the Gestalt approach from the other thread:

The Gestalt Approach:
"If you could build a 6th-level character with some ability, then I think it should be fair game for that ability to be at the end of a feat chain."

The Cautious Approach:
"Before trying to make a new feat to cover a particular kind of character improvement, see if you already have an official feat that helps enhance that same character concept."

Khuxan, your feats there work for the Gestalt Approcah; I'm trying to think of the minimum feats necessary for the Cautious Approach.

I'm starting to think that for the Cautious Approach I should JUST have Restoration, Stone to Flesh, and Open Minded. The Extra Spell / Extra Sorcery debate will probably never find consensus anyway.

Dragonblade275

First Post
* * * W A R N I N G * * *
Gestalt Approach Material Follows:

(And, it's probably beyond the limits of the Gestalt Approach at that...)

What I think was a good point was presented by Ioreck in the other thread.
Ioreck said:
The only problem is that the fighter is even worse under this system - the one feature he has over others, mass amounts of feats, becomes worthless after a while. barbarians can overwhelm them, and a warblade would stll be a better choice (even without bonus damage and such).

If you just cutoff at level 6, then sure, a fighter would still rock - lots more feats. But granting them every 5k xp after is too much...
I see your point, here, Ioreck. Eventually, the fighter is only ahead of SOME of the characters in terms of BAB or Fort Save. There has to be a way for fighters to improve ESPECIALLY if we're going to consider allowing casters to gain extra spell slots and/or improved caster level(s) via feats.

Here's a suggestion for a new feat for E6 (not for standard 3.5).

First, a feat from the SRD that E6 allows:
GREAT FORTITUDE [GENERAL]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Fortitude saving throws.​
Since there is a precedent in the ruleset of a feat being able to grant a +2 bonus to anyone's FORT save, I suggest a similar feat for attack bonuses. Something like this:

MELEE COMBAT PROWESS [GENERAL, FIGHTER]
Pre-Requisite(s): Character level 6th; BAB +6
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on all melee attack rolls.
Special: A 6th level fighter may count this bonus as a base attack bonus and/or a virtual fighter level for the purposes of qualifying for fighter bonus feats. This base attack and/or virtual level bonus does not stack with the ranged version of this feat.

RANGED COMBAT PROWESS [GENERAL, FIGHTER]
Pre-Requisite(s): Character level 6th; BAB +6
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on all ranged attack rolls.
Special: A 6th level fighter may count this bonus as a base attack bonus and/or a virtual fighter level for the purposes of qualifying for fighter bonus feats. This base attack and/or virtual level bonus does not stack with the melee version of this feat.

IMPROVED MELEE COMBAT PROWESS [GENERAL, FIGHTER]
Pre-Requisite(s): Character level 6th; BAB +6; Combat Prowess
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on all melee attack rolls.
Special: A 6th level fighter may count this bonus as a base attack bonus and/or a virtual fighter level for the purposes of qualifying for fighter bonus feats. This base attack and/or virtual level bonus does not stack with the ranged version of this feat.

IMPROVED RANGED COMBAT PROWESS [GENERAL, FIGHTER]
Pre-Requisite(s): Character level 6th; BAB +6; Combat Prowess
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on all ranged attack rolls.
Special: A 6th level fighter may count this bonus as a base attack bonus and/or a virtual fighter level for the purposes of qualifying for fighter bonus feats. This base attack and/or virtual level bonus does not stack with the melee version of this feat.​
NOTE: These feats would be open to all characters who met the pre-requisites, but only a fighter could get the special benefit of unlocking a few fighter specific feats by spending at least 10,000 XP on the feats to unlock them.

Are these feats more powerful than Weapon Focus?
I don't believe so. For one, though Weapon Focus only applies it's bonus to only one weapon (or weapon group if using Unearthed Arcana's variant), Weapon Focus may be taken at 1st level. And, Weapon Focus qualifies as a pre-requisite for Weapon Specialization. Combat Prowess cannot be taken until at least 6th level and does not qualify as a pre-requisite for Weapon Specialization (to get extra damage). Also, I've broken the melee and ranged side into separate feat chains.​
Without feats like this, I'd recommend dropping any feat that increases caster level in the E6 d20 System. Those characters that want increased caster level should avoid multiclassing.

Last edited:

Dragonblade275

First Post
Khuxan said:
CASTER TRAINING (General)
You become a more accomplished spellcaster.
Requirements: Character level 6, caster level 1.
Benefit: Your caster level becomes 6.
I believe this one is too powerful for the E6 d20 System. The ability to improve caster level by five levels with only one feat is too powerful for even standard DnD 3.5.

Ry

Explorer
Dragonblade275 said:
I believe this one is too powerful for the E6 d20 System. The ability to improve caster level by five levels with only one feat is too powerful for even standard DnD 3.5.
Agreed. T'would encourage dipping, it would.

Aage

First Post
Furthermore it is not really needed, as practiced spellcaster and practiced manifester gives +4

Ry

Explorer
Complete Divine.

That shuts me up qua my earlier comment single-level dipping.

Ry

Explorer
Revised reqs based on an earlier idea:

Stone to Flesh
Prerequisites: 6th level, ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells, Intelligence 18, Craft (Alchemy) 9 ranks.
Benefit: You can use stone to flesh, as the spell (paying the material component costs), with a casting time of 1 day.

Aage

First Post
Practiced Spellcaster appears in at least two books (Complete divine and complete arcane), but perhaps a few more that I don't know of...

Practiced Manifester is in complete psionic..

Dragonblade275

First Post
Wow! Practiced Spellcaster rocks! Even in non-E6 games. A must have feat in E6, for sure. Also, it makes me think my combat prowess feats are too weak and too complicated.

EDIT: Actually, practiced spellcaster can't help a 6th level single-classed caster, so it's not as strong as I first thought. I was thinking it would allow casting as if the caster were 10th level. Good thing it won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads