• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Kelvin Timeline Star Trek film goes into production late 2022

Retreater

Legend
Despite the tumultuous times of the 1960s, Star Trek managed to bring a little optimism for the future into living room. If it's out of step today why wasn't it out of step in the 60s?
Our space program is all but defunct. Scientists are ridiculed. Technology is largely seen as a means of controlling the population than freeing. The idealism of the 60s grew into the disillusionment of the 70s, greed of the 80s, apathy of the 90s. Yes, there was push-back in the 60s, but there was optimism that the world was improving and that change was possible. The past 50-60 years have shown that Star Trek-like progress is impossible. It's as much a fantasy as LOTR or Marvel, except that it has the sheen of "one day, we'll achieve this."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The past 50-60 years have shown that Star Trek-like progress is impossible.

Oh, it is possible. We just thought it'd be, you know, easy.

If Trek has a point of failing, it is in showing us the result of progress as a fait accompli. There are few glimpses (Khan, the Bell Riots) of what it took to get there. The focus is on the potential, but not on achieving the solutions.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Thats pretty much a perfect tagline for every JJ movie. The pace is so hectic and break neck that you love it at credits roll, but hate it by the time the car ride home is over.

You're forgetting the most important part of every JJ movie....

thumb_a-long-time-ago-in-a-galaxy-far-far-away-49922501.png

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Our space program is all but defunct. Scientists are ridiculed. Technology is largely seen as a means of controlling the population than freeing. The idealism of the 60s grew into the disillusionment of the 70s, greed of the 80s, apathy of the 90s. Yes, there was push-back in the 60s, but there was optimism that the world was improving and that change was possible. The past 50-60 years have shown that Star Trek-like progress is impossible. It's as much a fantasy as LOTR or Marvel, except that it has the sheen of "one day, we'll achieve this."
As bad as the world can seem....LGBTQ+ people can marry now in many nations. Violent crime is actually down, despite what the news would have us believe. People, until the last couple years, live longer and healthier lives. Life is not perfect, but there is actual progress being made (and I'm as mad at the current state of science and other things as anyone).

Mallus

Legend
The original run of Star Trek was from 1966 to 1969. During this time, the United States and the Soviet Union were in a Cold War and the threat of nuclear annihilation permeated daily life, the United States was involved in a hot war in southeast Asia, Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated, the Manson Family murdered Sharon Tate and several guests at her home in California, and the Brady Bunch aired its first episode on ABC. Despite the tumultuous times of the 1960s, Star Trek managed to bring a little optimism for the future into living room. If it's out of step today why wasn't it out of step in the 60s?

Although I push back against the idea that the original Star Trek presented us with a utopia. Things were certainly better in that humanity seemed to move beyond many of the problems we had in the 1960s, but life wasn't perfect and many of the characters we run into, including some of the main characters, exhibited flaws including bigotry though they typically managed to overcome them.
A thousand likes aren't enough for this post!

(whoops, wrong classic SF franchise)

Something my wife pointed out to me while we while TOS: they run into a lot of planets with dead civilizations. Or post-apocalyptic ones. One engaged in a 500-year long virtual nuclear war, even. I wonder if that had anything to do with the geopolitics of the time?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
A thousand likes aren't enough for this post!

(whoops, wrong classic SF franchise)

Something my wife pointed out to me while we while TOS: they run into a lot of planets with dead civilizations. Or post-apocalyptic ones. One engaged in a 500-year long virtual nuclear war, even. I wonder if that had anything to do with the geopolitics of the time?
I always thought an interesting premise for a ST game would be a ship and crew assigned specifically to find and deal with lost tech and dead civilizations - in part to find and deal with them before the Klingons (or whoever) do.

Remove ads