• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Monster: Gazing Render, please review

Jear77

Explorer
Gazing Render
Large Aberration (Chaotic , Evil)
Hit Dice: 15d8 + 60 (127 HP)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft (40 base, +20 for dex bonus)
AC: 31 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +15 natural, +4 inertial armor)
Base attack/ Grapple +16/ +8
Attacks: 4 claws, bite, gaze attacks
Damage: claws 2d6 + 6 bite 3d8+3
Face/Reach: 12x8/ 15
Special Attacks: Psionic Powers, Gaze Attacks
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60’ ft, damage reduction
Saves: Fort 12 Ref 18, Will 22
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 20
Skills: Spot +10, climb +10, listen +10
Feats: Multiattack, Alertness, Improved Initiative
Climate/Terrain underground
Organization: Solitary or pairs
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement: As Psionicist/ Psychic Warrior (favored class)

A grey, roughly man-shaped creature having 4 arms ending in razor sharp claws stands before you. Every surface on its body is totally covered with eyes. Instead of a head, it has a single large eye on a stalk. In the center of its body is a maw covered with razor sharp teeth.

Special Qualities
Damage reduction 10/ magic

All DCs for the gaze attacks are Will 22

Frightening gaze: This works like the fear spell

Confusion gaze: This works just like the confusion spell

Charming Gaze: Target must succeed a will save or be affected as Charm Monster

Sleeping Gaze: This works like the spell, except that it works against one creature with any number of Hit Dice, Will Negates

Paralyzing Gaze: The target must succeed a fortitude check or be paralyzed for 2d10 minutes

Stunning Gaze (Su): Stuns for 1 round, range 30 feet; Fortitude DC 13 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Petrifying Gaze (Su): The targets must save a Fortitude check or be turned to stone permanently

Death Gaze (Su): Death, range 30 feet, Fortitude DC 15 negates. Humanoids who die from this attack are transformed into bodaks 24 hours later. The save DC is Charisma-based.

True Seeing (Su): Gazing Renders have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 20th).

Inertial Armor (Ex): as per the psionic power

My light (Ex): As per the psionic power

COMBAT

Rend (Ex): A Gazing Render that hits with two or more claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d6+ 6 points of damage. Damage continues to bleed an additional 1d6 worth of damage per round til healed.

-------------------
PS
I have a psionicist/ wizard in my campaign. Are there any gaze attacks/ psionic powers that would be neat (and would give an extra challenge) for the creature. Let me know

Last edited:

Jear77

Explorer
Thanx for the suggestion.
Also I was wondering what magic items would be approriate for it. I think it could have quite a few goggles/ glasses/ lenses for it (as the entire creature is covered with eyes!), but what else?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Man, does this thing really need magic items to make it more formidable? Lenses make sense, and I guess anything else for a humanoid would work. What else enhances Gaze Attacks? Anyway, I'm reading through MIC and the magic items in the DMG at the moment, so I'll let you know if I see anything...

Jear77

Explorer
heh. Point, but with a psionicist in the party... a few mind blasts, and a few other powers will decimate almost any creature. Of course at epic levels virtually nothing is a challenge anymore.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Give it something that will improve its saves against the mind blast? Or does that not allow saves?

Remove ads