• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Brodie

Explorer
While I like the weapon stuff they're trying to do, I don't see it getting used much beyond players extremely focused on the best combat builds. And all the subclass stuff being moved to level 3 makes classes a little too... Same-y. Sorcerers get it from their blood, so that should be right at first. Warlocks don't decide 'I want this guy as my patron' at level 3, they choose at the beginning. If they wanted parity between the classes in regards to when each chooses their specializations, they should make it a level one choice. Lots of DMs start their players at level 3 so that the players are all in their subclass. Lots of players already have an idea in mind when starting a new character and know exactly what sub they want. Make it a level 1 choice, give them a small taste of ability at that level, then resume sub class stuff at level 3 or something.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Okay, this has gotten blown way out of proportion. “Not as many as I’d like” doesn’t mean “nerfed into uselessness”. And the TPK thing was more just saying that of course the DM controls the pacing. It’s always been that way. I’m boggled by the idea that the players can just dig in their heels and ignore that.
Taking a rest is entirely a character decision. Are there times where it’s a risky decision to make? Of course. Does that mean the players rely on the DM to “let them have a short rest”? Well, in my opinion it very much shouldn’t, and is indicative of a pretty imbalanced power dynamic if it does.
Let me put it this way: if a DM came in here complaining that their players refused to do more than one fight without taking a short rest every time, there’d be tons of advice about time limits on quests and wandering monsters. I’m guessing no one would say “Suck it up, the players get to decide and you can’t do anything”.
I strongly disagree. The adventuring day guidelines suggest 6-8 encounters per day with 2-3 short rests in-between, which means in general players should be able to get a short rest in after roughly every other encounter. In some low-pressure situations, it might be possible to get one in after every encounter. In some very dangerous situations, it might not be practical to get more than one after every three encounters or more. But on the balance, it should average out to about one short rest every two encounters. If it’s not working out that way, I think the DM is being too restrictive.

Also to clarify: I don’t think short rests need to be totally risk-free. In my own campaigns, there is usually a risk of a random encounter occurring during the hour it takes to short rest. But it’s basically never guaranteed, and the players usually have the ability to take precautions to minimize that risk. Rope Trick, for example, is basically a free short rest whenever you need it. Maybe players who have trouble with DMs “not allowing them to rest” should just… take Rope Trick.
I’m really regretting opening this can of worms now. Let’s just say I’m looking forward to trying out the new system.
Fair enough, I won’t harp on this point further with you.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
As for the document.

I see damage on a miss is back (with graze).

Personally, I like it -

Let's see if a % of people's heads (figuratively) explode like they did when damage on a miss was introduced in 4e.
Oh, some already have. What remains to be seen is if this time it’ll be enough people to get the change below the 80% satisfaction threshold.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
That’s actually a Fighter ability later on: the ability to swap out masteries, and then have more than one available per weapon.
I'm not sure that's what the feat says:

Mastery Property. Your training with weapons allows you to use the Mastery property of one kind of Simple or Martial weapon of your choice, provided you are proficient with it. Whenever you finish a Long Rest, you can change the kind of weapon you chose to another eligible kind.

I'm having trouble parsing that last sentence.

So, a Warlock patron grants you power but then you can just change your mind by 3rd level and get power from another patron? That sounds stupid AF.

Same with Sorcerer, so by 3r level you just decide you have draconic blood to fuel your magic. Yeah ok.
The class descriptions are pretty clear in describing the origins. They aren't "necessarily" Warlocks with direct pacts with Archfiends at 1st level, or Sorcerers with a known Draconic bloodline (though they ultimately can be if that is the narrative you choose).

Warlocks are free agents that can be pursued by multiple potential patrons. Warlocks start with small pacts with lesser entities, and choose a big patron at level 3. You can still choose specific options at level 1 if you want to stick with that theme, but the narrative is opened up for other possibilities.

Sorcerers aren't automatically "bloodlines" anymore, unless you opt into that story for yourself, and even then it takes a couple levels for that to fully manifest. Totally makes sense.

Remove ads

Remove ads