• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just popped back into this thread after a break and I can say: I have no idea what you all are talking about. Calling things D&D? DM's telling Players "No" now and then? Players not accepting that? Sure, it happens.

But, I WILL say: I can't STAND it when D&D is called "DND"... it's not an N. It just sounds like one when people pronounce it lazily. Please don't spell it that way!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Just popped back into this thread after a break and I can say: I have no idea what you all are talking about. Calling things D&D? DM's telling Players "No" now and then? Players not accepting that? Sure, it happens.

But, I WILL say: I can't STAND it when D&D is called "DND"... it's not an N. It just sounds like one when people pronounce it lazily. Please don't spell it that way!
I shall forever use DnD as my dungeons and dragons abbreviation!

It doesn't. It contradicts the part where you say "If the group tells the DM no, the group wins." " The DM’s “authority” ends the moment it goes against the will of the group." The will of the group INCLUDES the desire to be told "no" where it's appropriate.

Edit: Dyslexia may have impacted how I read this: "If the group tells the DM no, the group wins.", but i gathered from your statements that DMs aren't allowed to tell the group "no", or that a "no" from the group always trumps the DM's decisions. If that's not what you meant, then interpret my posts as observation, rather than debate.
A unified group trumps the DM. This I have no problem with as a DM, and if my entire group has united to tell me no about something then I must have put my foot in it pretty badly.

The last time I basically had a united group on one thing that I didn't want was to kick one guy out, and I had wondered myself but it's a messy job. The time before that was pre-pandemic if it's ever happened.

Stalker0

Legend
This feels like nitpicking, to me. What am I missing?
Your assertion that led to my response was that the DM's authority stops the second the rest of the group says it does.

However, its a bit more than that. Dmes have a lot of power just from the difficulty of their job, a lot of people flat out would not want to dm, and might not be good at it.

I always hear people on these boards say, "oh if my dm did that, I would just quit immediately"..... and frankly I don't buy it. Finding a good dm is not that easy, and so if your DM is adamant that they want certain things a certain way, most people are going to go along with it even if they don't like it, because they would much rather have to deal with a thing they don't like than find another group, or take on the burden of dming themselves.

In summary: The DM's authority is stronger than you give it credit for in your initial argument.

Clint_L

Hero

I completely agree. DND sounds like you are yelling. It's DnD. The "n" is quiet.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I always hear people on these boards say, "oh if my dm did that, I would just quit immediately"..... and frankly I don't buy it. Finding a good dm is not that easy, and so if your DM is adamant that they want certain things a certain way, most people are going to go along with it even if they don't like it, because they would much rather have to deal with a thing they don't like than find another group, or take on the burden of dming themselves.
If you've got a DM who ignores what the group wants and depends on holding the game hostage so they get their way, you still haven't found a good DM.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Aaand those have changed between fifteen and twenty times in the past fifty years, so they don't actually matter.
Yes, rules have changed, but I’m referring to fundamental concepts, like the DM’s role as Referee. Yes, it’s a subjective distinction. No, I don’t expect many others to agree with me about it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Your assertion that led to my response was that the DM's authority stops the second the rest of the group says it does.
Yes.
However, its a bit more than that. Dmes have a lot of power just from the difficulty of their job, a lot of people flat out would not want to dm, and might not be good at it.
No D&D is better than bad D&D .
I cannot even fathom this mindset. No one in my group would ever think like this.
In summary: The DM's authority is stronger than you give it credit for in your initial argument.
The role being “hard” (I don’t buy that it even is) does not bestow authority.

Remove ads

Remove ads