• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Paladin Spell(s)

Cabral

First Post
I want to make up some new spells for Paladins.

Stalwart Defense
Level: Pal 4
Components: V, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: ?
Target: ?
Duration: Instant or 1 round/lvl

By chosing to take full damage from an attack that allows a reflex save, you grant others subject to the same attack Evasion (or improved evasion if they already possessed evasion) for that attack only. This spell can only affect atatcks from creatures with a caster level equal to or greater than caster's character level. (1 rnd/lvl version only: when the duration expires the caster is healed of 1d6 damage plus 2d6 damage per attack Stalwart Defense was invoked upon)

Intervene
Level: Paladin 2
Components: V, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/level

The caster loses his dex bonus to AC. In addition, any other bonuses/effect that would normally be lost when the character loses his dex bonus to AC are also lost. The target gains the caster's dex bonus as a deflection bonus to AC.

DanMcS

Explorer
Cabral said:
Stalwart Defense
By chosing to take full damage from an attack that allows a reflex save, you grant others subject to the same attack Evasion (or improved evasion if they already possessed evasion) for that attack only. This spell can only affect atatcks from creatures with a caster level equal to or greater than caster's character level. (1 rnd/lvl version only: when the duration expires the caster is healed of 1d6 damage plus 2d6 damage per attack Stalwart Defense was invoked upon)

That seems like it should be two different spells. One that is immediate casting time and instant duration (which lets it be useful vs boom spells), the other is 1 standard action to cast and lasts 1 round per level.

Intervene
The caster loses his dex bonus to AC. In addition, any other bonuses/effect that would normally be lost when the character loses his dex bonus to AC are also lost. The target gains the caster's dex bonus as a deflection bonus to AC.

Might want to make that a dodge bonus to their AC, as that's effectively what the paladin is giving up. Or not, since divine casters often give deflection bonuses (shield of faith, protection from evil)

Cabral

First Post
DanMcS said:
That seems like it should be two different spells. One that is immediate casting time and instant duration (which lets it be useful vs boom spells), the other is 1 standard action to cast and lasts 1 round per level.
It is two different spells. I just don't know which version I should use.

DanMcS said:
Might want to make that a dodge bonus to their AC, as that's effectively what the paladin is giving up. Or not, since divine casters often give deflection bonuses (shield of faith, protection from evil)
It's deflection because if the target is helpless the bonus should stay. :)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Cabral said:
It is two different spells. I just don't know which version I should use.

Use the immediate action version. The other one costs a standard action at the beginning of combat for an option that the paladin may not want or need to use anyway. The immediate version is better because it doesn't have that opportunity cost.

It's deflection because if the target is helpless the bonus should stay. :)

Yeah, but how many paladins are running around with any significant dex bonus at all? As a deflection bonus, the paladin is much better off by simply casting protection from evil and being done with the matter. It gives a resistance bonus to saves and (usually) a better deflection bonus to AC, prevents domination, protects from summoned creatures, and lasts ten times as long. If you want the spell to be useful, you'll need to beef it up a bit and make it some kind of bonus that stacks--maybe even an unnamed bonus.

In any event the spell needs to have two of three things done to it: it needs to be beefed up, have the drawbacks scaled back, and or be a first level paladin spell. As it stands, its competition at first level is protection from evil and that has it beat hands down. At second level, its competition is shield other which also has it thoroughly beaten (the drawback is heftier, but it provides the same +1 deflection bonus to AC that this will usually provide, a +1 resistance bonus to AC, half damage from all sources of damage, and lasts one hour per level rather than one round per level enabling it to be cast ahead of time and to remain on for the duration of a dungeon crawl or, at higher level, an entire day of travel).

Cabral

First Post
Bleh. I forgot about shield other. That's pretty much the function I was looking for so I can probably drop Intervene.

For stalwart defense, the immediate action also allows for cleaner language so I'll probably go with that version ....

Stalwart Defense
Level: Pal 4
Components: V,S, DF
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Close (25 +5 ft per 2 levels)
Target: Up to one creature per level?
Duration: Instant

The targets of this spell have Evasion (or improved evasion if they already possessed evasion) for one attack. This spell can only affect atatcks from creatures with a caster level equal to or greater than caster's character level. The caster takes full damage from the attack, even if not in the area (no save).

Last edited:

ceratitis

First Post
just wanted to tell you i love the concept of paladin spells self sacrifising... i can see my rogue characters taking advantege of such a noble paladin ;)

Remove ads