New Penny Arcade Podcast

Jeff Wilder

First Post
It was a lot of fun to listen to, but I have to echo the poster who remarked about the patience of the DM. (And of Wil Wheaton, who was clearly there to roleplay.)

I know that I'm going to consciously tone down my OOC jokes and comments in the future. (Not eliminate, because they're part of the fun. But definitely tone down.) This was pretty eye-opening.

vagabundo

Adventurer
It was a lot of fun to listen to, but I have to echo the poster who remarked about the patience of the DM. (And of Wil Wheaton, who was clearly there to roleplay.)

I know that I'm going to consciously tone down my OOC jokes and comments in the future. (Not eliminate, because they're part of the fun. But definitely tone down.) This was pretty eye-opening.

There was definitely a little bit of a clash of roleplaying styles, but - especally after the first few warm up minutes - the PA and PvP people were definetly roleplaying and were very enthusiastic. And possibly that led to them being a little like gabber-monkeys.

I think - given time - they would get a little more serious in tone, but near the end of the podcast they were involving themselves int he story and interacting with NPCs.

I like the way Chris handled some of the crazy stuff that they did in-game: Ye've cheer me up as I've been down of late.

Last edited:

OchreJelly

First Post
I know everyone's experience at the table is different, however, these guys sound very similar to my group. The level of banter and goofing is par for the course at our table and one of the reasons we have so much fun. I'm not sure if Perkins is being patient or if he is just really empathic in finding ways to engage this sort of group. It strikes me that he gets these mostly new players comfortable with RP by engaging what interests them.

I hope new prospective players listen to it. IMO I think it goes a long way to banishing some stereotypes. This is just a group of people having fun!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
After this game Gabe gave DMing a try, and is now running a campaign. He posts about it periodically, and maintains a campaign wiki on Obsidian Portal. He's mentioned that listening to the podcasts, he winces at some of his newb mistakes. The other players have also now have quite a bit more playing time under their belts.

It'd be interesting, if we do another of these projects, to see how the play style will change now that everyone is more familiar with the rules, and each other.

-z

Gabe's posts about his campaign:

Penny Arcade! - And So It Begins, Part One (kickoff of "Gabe as DM" comic storyline, which parallels Mike's real-life transformation--click on Tycho's link to the comic)
Penny Arcade! - And So It Begins, Part Four (Gabe's kickoff post about his campaign)
Penny Arcade! - True Martial Prowess (pics of first game as DM)
Penny Arcade! - The Dregs (big post)
Penny Arcade! - Further Songs Of Sorcelation, Part Four (rant about online tools)
Penny Arcade! - The Susurrous Sandwich (more photos, and comments about remote gaming)

Just for fun, the first comic in a storyline about awful fantasy genre fiction (and their spinoff movies): Penny Arcade! - Further Songs of Sorcelation, Part One

Gabe's campaign wiki: Obsidian Portal » Campaigns » Pursuit of Destiny

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I feel rather sorry for Wil, and feel that Chris Perkins did let him down a little - if someone new joins the game with a brand new class, I think the DM ought to be keeping aware enough of the situation that he can help him out with glaring problems.

I know that Will has now realised that he should have been adding his weapons +3 proficiency bonus on all his weapon based attacks (no wonder the poor bloke was missing so much!)

But what about the core Avenger feature, Oath of Enmity? The thing that lets the Avenger be a striker? I don't remember a single occasion so far where Wil has been given the "roll to hit twice and use the higher result" even though he's definitely used his Oath of Enmity on at least two occasions!

If Al the Avenger was rolling twice to hit his Oathsworn targets at +7 each time, he would have been having a much, much better time of it as a striker!

(I know that the 'roll twice' power doesn't work if you have more than one enemy adjacent to you - it might be the case that Wil was in that situation every time, but if he was... Chris should have pointed out to him that his Oath of Enmity power works when he only has his oathsworn target next to him...)

C'mon guys!

chitzk0i

Explorer
But what about the core Avenger feature, Oath of Enmity? The thing that lets the Avenger be a striker? I don't remember a single occasion so far where Wil has been given the "roll to hit twice and use the higher result" even though he's definitely used his Oath of Enmity on at least two occasions!

This is what I don't get. What kind of character sheet was he using? Didn't he get it from someone at Wizards? Why didn't they give him a pre-made character sheet, like the 4e preview ones from D&D XP or from KotS?

If he was reading the book or similar write-up, how did he miss the entire text of the Oath? Did he just see a Wall of Text (wizard utility 22, daily...) and say tl;dr? How do you manage to fail that badly?

Remove ads