• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Penny Arcade Podcast

vagabundo

Adventurer
It would be easy to make a mistake as a first time player of 4e, groking how to play a 4e class can be tough. Still, he said he had a blast and that - at the end of the day - is all the matters.

Chris should have picked up on it, but I think the PVP lads were a distraction.

It is a successful game; one player is back to playing DND and another brand new player goes off and starts DMing his own game. A success by any standard.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Yeah, I was really surprised Chris missed so badly with the Avenger. Obviously, the PA and PVP boys hadn't seen the new class so they couldn't help Wil and it was his first time playing 4E, so I'm very shocked Chris didn't do a once over on his power cards.

Maybe Chris just hadn't seen the Avenger's final form, or maybe the Oath didn't work quite the way it works now when they did the podcast.

Good news is for their next Podcast (which I assume they will have, seeing as how positive people are about them), Al will be much better as a Striker.

BTW, new Podcast is up. It was excellent and the players solved a puzzle really quickly, much quicker than my players would, I believe.

Abciximab

Explorer
Yeah, Wil created his character "the old fashioned way". With pencil and notebook paper. I don't think he had cards either, his powers were just written on another page of paper.

The new episode is quite the cliffhanger.:eek:

There's a thread floating around about things DM's say that foreshadow's bad news... I think they hit on a few of those in this episode.

"You can double move if you want..."

Badwe

First Post
I’ve tried listening to other 4th edition podcasts, but none of them have really rung true for me the way these do. Am I just starstruck by the PA/PVP guys (I read both comics)? Are there any other good session podcasts out there?

Also I particularly enjoyed this weeks because I felt that not only was the puzzle clever, but evocative. You’ll notice that the way in which he described the door being barred shut made it clear that this wasn’t just an opportunity to brute force it, and the little hints like the carvings on the cauldron itself worked perfectly. I was honestly amazed at how well it came together, and how the adventure managed to lure the players into both a sense of trepidation and a line of deduction. Moreover, the use of colors in description worked well. It occurs to me that a DM often describes, or even designs, things that focuses more on the actual senses (smell, sight, sound) and emotions in the room rather than using things like color or objects as synecdoche. For example, using the a color like red’s association with violence and blood (but not actual blood, just being red) to imply violence or gore.

Yeah, I was really surprised Chris missed so badly with the Avenger. Obviously, the PA and PVP boys hadn't seen the new class so they couldn't help Wil and it was his first time playing 4E, so I'm very shocked Chris didn't do a once over on his power cards.

Maybe Chris just hadn't seen the Avenger's final form, or maybe the Oath didn't work quite the way it works now when they did the podcast.

Good news is for their next Podcast (which I assume they will have, seeing as how positive people are about them), Al will be much better as a Striker.

BTW, new Podcast is up. It was excellent and the players solved a puzzle really quickly, much quicker than my players would, I believe.

Chris did say at one point that he hadn't seen the Avenger yet, so perhaps he didn't know?

ScottS

First Post
I'm pretty sure they're forgetting/ignoring fighter marking as well (e.g. Binwin runs up and attacks a crossbowman, who then shifts away without eating an AOO). They made the same error in the KOTS podcast.

Remove ads