• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Penny Arcade Podcast

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure they're forgetting/ignoring fighter marking as well (e.g. Binwin runs up and attacks a crossbowman, who then shifts away without eating an AOO). They made the same error in the KOTS podcast.

Yeah, not only that but the cleric keeps using Righteous Brand and forgetting to give anyone the bonus to hit at all. He remembered once up until last weeks. I haven't heard this weeks yet.

Between forgetting to roll twice for the Oath, forgetting the marking, the bonus for Righteous Brand, and the +4 extra to hit that Wil would have if he remembered his prof bonus and magic weapon bonus, the podcasts really begin to get very painful.

There was a round in last week's episode where an enemy was bloodied and nearly dead, had the fighter in a grab and was doing ongoing 10 while it grabbed. The cleric hit it with Righteous Brand and forgot to give the bonus to anyone. Then the Avenger missed (by 3 or 4, just enough that if he'd remembered his own bonuses OR the cleric's bonus, he'd have hit) and could have pulled the enemy 1 square in order to get the fighter out of the grab. However, he missed, so the fighter took 10 at the beginning of his turn and fell unconscious putting them into panic mode.

I was almost yelling at my computer as it played the MP3 file.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I don't even play 4e, but, jeez, did these guys even read the books? I mean, they've actually got the cards in front of them and they can't keep stuff straight.

The one that got me was from a couple episodes ago when the Dwarf (Binwin?) got pushed into the construct bear trap thingie. Umm, he's a dwarf. He got pushed 1. Dwarves don't have to get pushed if they don't want to. ((Dwarven step (I might have the name wrong there) lets you reduce any push by 1 square))

I'm not going to put this on the DM at all either. These guys really, really need to sit down for a few minutes and get their rules straight.

Alikar

First Post
Yeah, not only that but the cleric keeps using Righteous Brand and forgetting to give anyone the bonus to hit at all. He remembered once up until last weeks. I haven't heard this weeks yet.

Between forgetting to roll twice for the Oath, forgetting the marking, the bonus for Righteous Brand, and the +4 extra to hit that Wil would have if he remembered his prof bonus and magic weapon bonus, the podcasts really begin to get very painful.

There was a round in last week's episode where an enemy was bloodied and nearly dead, had the fighter in a grab and was doing ongoing 10 while it grabbed. The cleric hit it with Righteous Brand and forgot to give the bonus to anyone. Then the Avenger missed (by 3 or 4, just enough that if he'd remembered his own bonuses OR the cleric's bonus, he'd have hit) and could have pulled the enemy 1 square in order to get the fighter out of the grab. However, he missed, so the fighter took 10 at the beginning of his turn and fell unconscious putting them into panic mode.

I was almost yelling at my computer as it played the MP3 file.

No offense, but I also hear a party that is having a large amount of fun at the table. Sure they don't know the system as well as they could, but I'd defiantly rather play with them then some one who yells at some one just because they missed a silly rule.

Phaezen

First Post
No offense, but I also hear a party that is having a large amount of fun at the table. Sure they don't know the system as well as they could, but I'd defiantly rather play with them then some one who yells at some one just because they missed a silly rule.

As someone who has spent waaaaay too much time worrying about silly rules I would just like to say: QFT.

If you are having fun you can't be doing it wrong.

Hussar

Legend

And I agree with this to a degree. They do sound like they are having a blast. But, by the same token, the encounters are far more difficult than they should be, simply because they haven't taken the time to read the rules.

If it was one lone rules miss, that's fine. Heck, that happens all the time to all of us. But, even from my fairly uninformed position, I can count many, many times they are missing rules and it's biting them on the ass.

I think the point isn'T that they aren't having fun. They really sound like they are. It's just a bit frustrating to hear someone making the same mistake over and over again, particularly when it's very basic elements that taking 30 seconds to read could solve.

It's like watching a pitcher throw with the wrong hand. Sure, he might be having a blast, but, it does make me go "buh?"

Remove ads