• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Psionic Construct

Greatfrito

First Post
Anywho, here's a new construct for psionic crafters ('cuase having just one available for the feat seems to be a joke to me).

Ectoplasmic Golem
-----------------------------------
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 11d10+30 (90hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 25 (-1 size, +16 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+19
Attack: Slam +14 melee (2d10+7)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +14 melee (2d10+7)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine and deep crystal, darkvision 60ft., ectoplasmic seepage, fast healing 2, immunity to psionics, low-light vision
Saves: Fort+3, Refl+3, Will+3
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: --
Feats: --
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang(2-4)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 12-18 HD(Large), 19-33 HD(Huge)
Level Adjustment: --
------------------------------------
"This creature stands 10 feet tall and is shaped like a fully armored humanoid. Cruelly carved crystal armor plates are connected by ectoplasm which seems to flow like a liquid."

An Ectoplasmic Golem is about 9-1/2 feet tall and wieghs around 2,000 pounds. Its body is composed of raw ectoplasm and large crystal plates.
These golems are powerful companions to many psionic creatures and characters, serving as guardians or bodyguards. The crystal plating serves as both an armor and a casing for the ectoplasm that is the golem, and if it is destroyed, the creature loses shape and falls apart. Occasionally portions of this raw ectoplasm are seperated from the golem as a whole. Though this causes no additional damage, it does temporarily result in the creation of an Astral Construct.

**Combat**
An ectoplasmic golem does nothing without explicit orders from its creator. It follows instructions literally and is incapable of any strategy or tactics. Ectoplasmic Golems don't use weapons, even if ordered to, but always strike with their fists.
An ectoplasmic golem's creator can command it if the golem is within 60 feet and can see and here its creator. If uncommanded, an ectoplasmic golem usually follows its last instruction to the best of its ability, though if attacked it returns the attack. Its creator can give an ectoplasmic golem a simple command to govern its actions in his or her absence, such as "Remain in this area and attack all creatures that enter."
**Ectoplasmic Seepage(Ex)**: The ectoplasmic golem occasionally leaks out some of its extra ectoplasm when it enters combat. This ectoplasm often animates through the powers that are imbued into the golem itself, although the so-animated creatures are always short-lived. After at least one round of combat the golem can leak out enough ectoplasm for one Astral Construct IV, Two Astral Construct II's, or Four Astral Construct I's once per day. These constructs animate on the round after the ectoplasm leaks from the golem and form in spaces adjacent to where the golem was on the last turn. They last for seven rounds or until destroyed. The constructs engage whatever enemies are nearby when they form. Each construct has abilities chosen at random from the abilities lists.
**Immunity to Psionics(Ex)**: Ectoplasmic Golems completely resist psionic (and magical, with psionics-magic equallity) effects and abilites except for the following:
-A "Dismiss Ectoplasm" power manifested on an ectoplasmic golem deals 3d10 damage and inflicts a -4 penalty to Str for 3 rounds. An ectoplasmic golem gets no save against "Dismiss Ectoplasm".
-Any power or ability that would send a creature back to its home plane (for example, "Banishment") prevents the golem from drawing fresh ectoplasm into itself, stopping its fast healing ability for 1 minute.

Things that I'm really looking for comments on would be a guess at CR and any other special power effects besides "Dismiss Ectoplasm". Thanks.

Last edited:

nameless

First Post
I really, really like this creature. I always love guys that spawn little minions when they get excited, even though those minions are usually just nuisances.

Comparing it to the Clay Golem (which it looks like you roughly based it on), I'd ad hoc a CR 9. Its DR isn't as good, and it has no cursed wounding or haste. Its weakness is less common, but also lower level than a Clay Golem's weakness. Its AC is a little bit high, though. I'd knock the natural armor down a couple of points.

In order to play nice with magic/psionics transparency, I'd also do the following: give it the [extraplanar] subtype, since it's primarily made from extraplanar goop (I know it's not clearly extraplanar, but it weakens the golem a little to stick it in CR 9) and seems to have a continious stream of ectoplasm going into it. And make it vulnerable to spells/powers that send it back to its home plane (maybe doing 1d10 damage per spell level). If I were to run with the theme of constant ectoplasmic seepage, I think I'd even give it a little bit of fast healing (1 or 2 points per round).

The Iron Mark

First Post
I disagree with everything nameless said except the fast healing bit. It is a main part about Astral Constructs (and this, since it's like a giant one) that they are not from another plane, just their building materials are. Otherwise, AC would be vulnerable to Circle of Protection, which they aren't.

nameless

First Post
On second look, you're right, Iron Mark. There is no need to add the [extraplanar] subtype to the golem. I still think it's good design to add "equivalent" nonpsionic effects to the vulnerability. The golem might not be extraplanar, but it makes sense that a targeted dismissal or banishment would send some of the ectoplasm back to its home plane and damage the golem.

Greatfrito

First Post
Thanks for the input (and the props).

Yeah, it was based on the clay golem (I figure, clay's gooey, ectoplasm is gooey... should be similar). I actually had planned for fast healing... but wasn't sure if it would be balanced or no.

I do think that I need to include similar spell effects (maybe just a general statement) for the weaknesses.

Gonna knock down the natural armor a few points. Down to 16.

I think I'm gonna change the DR to Adamantine or Deep Crystal, to make it a little bit tougher.

I think that would keep it about right. So I'm gonna start with a CR of 9, and test it a few times.

Thanks for the help. Any more input is gratefully accepted.

Now I just gotta convince my artist friend to draw me a sketch of this pretty thing :D .

Remove ads