• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Race: Holometallic

Tenniel

First Post
The Artificier look interesting, but there wasn't a race that really munched the stats for it (except for Githyanki), so I thought I would make one with extra-cheesy-munch and that fit the fluff whilst totally ripping off the Warforged and bordering on bare-faced plagarism.

The Holometallic is not a race as such but the outcome of man (or dwarf or whatever) meddling in alchemy with horrific outcome: destruction of the body and transferal of the soul to a suit of armour (having been located nearby in the fashion of Chekov's gun). Without bodily functions the mind is more free to ponder and the new body is also more sturdy. Further, the transformation gives new insight into the workings of alchemy.

HOLOMETALLIC

Sentient suits of armour with a predilection towards the alchemical arts.
RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5'6”-6'6”
Average Weight: 50 lb. (the weight of a suit of plate)

Ability scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana
Living Construct: see MM glossary
Sink Like a Stone: While you don't weigh much for your height you are hollow and leaky; consequently you don't float, rather you sink (like a stone).
Hollow: If stuff your body with air filled bladders or waterskins you are no longer affected by Sink Like a Stone. You can swim or sink according to all rules in the PHB.
Equivalent Exchange: You can use equivalent exchange as a daily power.

Equivalent Exchange, Holometallic Racial Power

Having felt first hand the impact of the Law of Equivalent Exchange, you use matter and energy from around you to empower your ritual.
Daily
Free Action Personal
Effect: Reduce the component cost of the next ritual you perform by one half.
Special: Using this power does not harm any creature, zone, conjuration or object nor cause any power to have a diminished or enhanced effect. The matter and energy extracted from the surroundings cause only the most superficial, cosmetic and temporary changes.

Sample names: Alphonse, Edward
;)

Last edited:

Stogoe

First Post
I like the name of the racial power, but it's completely overpowered. Half price magic items as a racial ability is too much. My other hesitation is the image of a sentient suit of plate strapping a suit of leather armor on over itself. I'm not sure how to fix that.

Tenniel

First Post
I like the name of the racial power,
Yes, it shows as much originality as my respect for other people's intellectual property;)
I but it's completely overpowered. Half price magic items as a racial ability is too much.
eeek, you got that right! Limit this power to rituals without the Creation keyword
My other hesitation is the image of a sentient suit of plate strapping a suit of leather armor on over itself. I'm not sure how to fix that.
Now the fluff is also broken! Add the following racial ability:

Body of Armour: You are a suit of armour, so you cannot wear armour. You have a +2 racial bonus to AC. You can use the Enchant Magic Item Ritual to absorb a suit of of cloth, leather or hide armour (providing you are proficient in that type of armour) gaining the enhancement bonus, properties and powers of the armour. If you have previousy absorbed the bonus/properties/powers of a suit armour, these are transferred to the new armour if the previous armour is of the type type (cloth, leather or hide). Otherwise an amount of residuum equal to 20% of the market value of the previous armour materalises in the surrounding area.

Also add new feat:
Fortified Metal Alchemist: (pre-reqs Holometallic Str 13, Con 13) Your racial bonus to AC increases to +3. You are treated as proficient with Hide armour for the purposes of absorbing armour.

Note to self: wasn't this a joke post?

Kisanji Arael

First Post
Note to self: wasn't this a joke post?

Note to Author: The House Rules forums would like to remind you that properly balanced humours are necessary to proper health. We balance your races for your benefit.

Last edited:

Remove ads