New "Red Box" Starter Set hands-on preview

nnms

First Post
In addition to that, the new encounter ability (seemingly an alternative to the 3rd at-will) isn't too shabby! +4 on a missed attack/saving throw? That's one of the better racial powers. Since many classes only have 2-3 really good at-wills and don't really need to have three, it seems to be a slight upgrade.

Cheers, LT.

The Deva gets a +1d6 after you fail an attack or skill check. I think a flat bonus for an attack or saving throw is much, much better.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
The Deva gets a +1d6 after you fail an attack or skill check. I think a flat bonus for an attack or saving throw is much, much better.
Indeed. Apart from issues of feat support, the human one is almost entirely superior.

If the human one was +3 it'd seems more balanced, but *meh*

Still on the fence about essentials. Glad they're being made (and not just stuffed into the main books) not sure if I'll be using them

Psybuster

First Post
Hm...the book already needs errata out of the gate (Rogue's Tumble Utility has been changed to allow your full speed instead of just half in July's errata). New human utility seems cool, although losing a third at-will and the human defense bonus makes me think harder about taking it as I play a pally.

Dwarf getting +2 Str? That's going to make them absurdly good with the feat selection they already have available to them in previous books.

TirionAnthion

First Post
Question = Answer

Thank you for the swift reply Thalmin. My store seems to meet the criteria yours does, although we don't attend the Gama Trade show. I suspected that it may have been a selection process of some kind.

Again, thanks for the info.

nnms

First Post
I didn't notice that they lost the defense bonus or not. I just completely forgot to look for that for any of the races.

Argyle King

Legend
In addition to that, the new encounter ability (seemingly an alternative to the 3rd at-will) isn't too shabby! +4 on a missed attack/saving throw? That's one of the better racial powers. Since many classes only have 2-3 really good at-wills and don't really need to have three, it seems to be a slight upgrade.

Cheers, LT.

It's nice if I miss a lot. Def. not bad, but I think I'd miss having the third at-will; especially with some of the new classes relying more on at-wills. I'm also somebody who enjoys multiclassing, so sometimes it's nice to have an extra at-will you don't mind sacking while being able to keep two from your original class.

hmm.. not sure how I feel... It's a good ability, but I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Wizard Powers

This is for you, doctorhook.
NOTE all cards paraphrased, and I have omitted flavor text.

Wizard Attack 1 At-Wills:
  • Hypnotism: Ranged 10, attack vs WILL, Effect - either Target free attack with bonus against adjacent creature OR Slide target 3 squares
  • Magic Missile: Ranged 20, auto-hit, target 1 or 2 creatures, 2+INT mod force damage
  • Phantasmal Force: Ranged 10, vs WILL, d10+INT,target grants combat advantage and no OAs
  • Stone Blood: Area burst 1 in 10 sq, target all in burst, vs FORT, d6+INT and target is slowed
  • Freezing Burst: Area burst 1 in 10 sq, target all in burst, vs REF, d6+iNT and slide 1 sq
Wizard Attack 1 Encounters:
  • Burning Hands: Close blast 5, target each in blast, vs REF, 2d6+INT, Miss 1/2 dam
  • Charm of Misplaced Wrath: ranged 10, vs WILL, slide target 3 and is dazed, Effect: target attacks creature of caster's choice with free basic attack +2 power bonus
  • Illusory Obstacles: Area burst 1 in 10, target each enemy, vs WILL, targets dazed and unable to charge, Miss unable to charge
  • Leaden Transformation: Range 10, vs FORT, 2d8+INT, Effect target slowed and no shift
Wizard Attack 1 Daily:
  • Fountain of Flame: Burst 1 in 10, Target each enemy, vs REF, 3d8+INT, Miss 1/2, Effect: creates zone that lasts encounter does 5 damage to enemy in zone
  • Slimy Transmutation: range 10, vs FORT, Target turns into tiny toad (save ends), Miss: target is toad 1 turn, Effect: target dazed can only move or shift, damage ends.
  • Phantom Chasm: burst 1 in 10, target each enemy, vs WILL, 2d6+INT and target prone and immobilized, Miss: 1/2 and target prone, Effect: zone lasts encounter, enemies fall prone
  • Sleep: burst 2 in 20, target all, vs WILL, target slowed (save ends), First Failed Save: target unconscious (save ends), Miss: target slowed (save ends)
Wizard Utility 1 At-Will (cantrips):
  • Mage Hand
  • Light
  • Ghost Sound
Wizard Utility 2:
  • Shield: Encounter, Immediate interrupt, Trigger: hit by attack, Effect: Immune to Force damage, +4 to AC and REF
  • Expeditious Retreat: Daily move action, shift twice speed
  • Spectral Image: Encounter minor, range 10, Effect: create illusion up to medium, can move within square and make sounds, ends if hit or touched, Insight to ignore

Last edited:

Dwarf getting +2 Str? That's going to make them absurdly good with the feat selection they already have available to them in previous books.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. So far, I haven't shared the concerns of the people shouting about how Essentials characters with "classic" feats are going to be broken. But the dwarf may change that. A lot of the dwarven fighter feats made them fighters on par with the +Str races; now added on top of a +2 Str, dwarves may become the no-brainer choice for Strength-based melee characters.

But I trust the designers to take something like that into account. I'm interested in seeing the specifics of what they've done.

Remove ads