New Star Trek TV series to be released in 2017

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wow! I wasn't expecting that! Hopefully it'll be available over here, too.

"The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016."

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The new movies never interested me, but I'll eagerly embrace the new series if/when it pops up. It deserves a shot.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Color me skeptical. I' not skeptical of it happening, I'm skeptical of it being decent Trek. The current work in the Trek movies are fine if you are trying to do action-adventure blockbuster movies. But, that makes them a poor basis for the more cerebral and philosophical speculative science fiction stories that are TV Trek at its best. They have already introduced things in the movies that outright bust the need to have a Starfleet, and not introduced much that would make good basis for longer-running stories. You don't need a *deep* setting for action movies, so they haven't developed one. The movies aren't leaving unanswered questions, or implying stuff we want to know about.

I am a bit starved for a good sci-fi show that isn't about superheroes. Some good space opera would be nice. I just don't know if this will be good space opera.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I see no mention of setting in the linked article. Did you have other sources?

Well, if there' s a plan for a 4th New Trek movie in 2019, it would seem weird to have the TV show not be in the same universe as the movies.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I see no mention of setting in the linked article. Did you have other sources?

Nah, only that Kurtzman will produce the TV series and he co-wrote the reboots, and that they say the TV show won't be related to the up coming film, but they do not say the series won't be set in the same universe.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Color me skeptical. I' not skeptical of it happening, I'm skeptical of it being decent Trek. The current work in the Trek movies are fine if you are trying to do action-adventure blockbuster movies. But, that makes them a poor basis for the more cerebral and philosophical speculative science fiction stories that are TV Trek at its best. They have already introduced things in the movies that outright bust the need to have a Starfleet, and not introduced much that would make good basis for longer-running stories. You don't need a *deep* setting for action movies, so they haven't developed one. The movies aren't leaving unanswered questions, or implying stuff we want to know about.

I am a bit starved for a good sci-fi show that isn't about superheroes. Some good space opera would be nice. I just don't know if this will be good space opera.

I agree on all counts, but...I also know me. Unless it is awful, I'll probably watch at least the whole first season, probably for no better reason than it is ST, and I have a deep hope that it will be better than the trailers that left me utterly cold on the films.

I know. Low bar.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It very specifically says it's not linked to the movies (well, the upcoming one at least).

Remove ads