New Star Trek TV series to be released in 2017

Mallus

Legend
I'm going to watch it. It's new Trek, how can I not?

But I'm not going to support a stupid idea like CBS All Access. I'll wait until it's on a real streaming service, or I'll further enrich Apple's bottomless coffers by buying the season in iTunes.

I do wish it was Bryan Fuller's Trek project. And I wish it were was on HBO or Netflix.

I am looking forward to it. Sure, all kinds of terrible things could happen, but... they also might not happen. The chance for a good show is preferable to no show at all.

Cor Azer

First Post
My (lack of) enthusiasm has nothing to do with the series potential quality, but is entirely due to a distaste for the growing walled gardens approach to streaming services.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I've been a long-time trek fan; love TOS and TNG, liked Voyager and DS9 (which got much better once the Defiant was introduced), and I felt Enterprise had real promise until the "temporal cold war" crap spoiled it. I doubt the new series will be what I really want to see at this point, but I'll definitely check it out.

I've said for years now that the kind of Star Trek series I'd be most interested in at this point is a BSG-esque series set on Earth during the time of Khan and the eugenics wars.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
DS9 (which got much better once the Defiant was introduced)

I like to think of it this way: When Sisko shaved his head, the entire series got more aerodynamic, and moved smoothly and cleanly :)

I felt Enterprise had real promise until the "temporal cold war" crap spoiled it.

So much failed promise. They had the acting chops. They actually had good writing staff. If they'd only just handed the showrunning job to Manny Coto from the start, it would have been a different, and likely wonderful, thing.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I like to think of it this way: When Sisko shaved his head, the entire series got more aerodynamic, and moved smoothly and cleanly :)

It's funny that you put it that way. I actually forgot that he used to have hair in DS9. Most of my favorite episodes, like the one where he gets the Romulans to join the war against the Dominion, do happen at the time his head was shaved.

He also played an awesome role in the movie The Big Hit, which is one of my favorite action comedies.

So much failed promise. They had the acting chops. They actually had good writing staff. If they'd only just handed the showrunning job to Manny Coto from the start, it would have been a different, and likely wonderful, thing.

For me, I do like the show despite the failed promise, but I also skip all the temporal cold war (TCW) episodes. The episode where Trip gets pregnant, the one where they encounter a race with three genders, the one where the Ferengi try to loot the ship, the episode with the Orions, the one with the storm and the hallucinogenic pollen, and the ones with the Andorians, those are all quite good as I see them. Even the Xindi arc is good when the episodes skip the TCW crap.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Color me skeptical. I' not skeptical of it happening, I'm skeptical of it being decent Trek. The current work in the Trek movies are fine if you are trying to do action-adventure blockbuster movies. But, that makes them a poor basis for the more cerebral and philosophical speculative science fiction stories that are TV Trek at its best. They have already introduced things in the movies that outright bust the need to have a Starfleet, and not introduced much that would make good basis for longer-running stories. You don't need a *deep* setting for action movies, so they haven't developed one. The movies aren't leaving unanswered questions, or implying stuff we want to know about.

I am a bit starved for a good sci-fi show that isn't about superheroes. Some good space opera would be nice. I just don't know if this will be good space opera.

I'm a bit skeptical as well. The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 were good, but Voyager and whatever the Scott Bakula one was called were awful.

Movies have a different requirement than a T.V. series, so of course they won't leave many things unanswered. They also don't ask as many questions. I can see a series set in the new movie universe doing well on the cerebral and philosophical front. They can come up with questions that the movies didn't ask and go from there.

Remove ads