New Star Trek TV series to be released in 2017

Cor Azer

First Post
Well, if there' s a plan for a 4th New Trek movie in 2019, it would seem weird to have the TV show not be in the same universe as the movies.

I have no skin in either camp, but having a movie universe separate from a theoretically related TV series isn't unheard of (DC's stuff for a recent example, even if Marvel does a good job of working everything together).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I agree on all counts, but...I also know me. Unless it is awful, I'll probably watch at least the whole first season, probably for no better reason than it is ST, and I have a deep hope that it will be better than the trailers that left me utterly cold on the films.

I know. Low bar.

Preaching to the choir. I watched all of Voyager and Enterprise, too. Putting it on a subscription service, however, is a speedbump that I don't know if I'll jump over.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I couldn't get into Voyager at all, and it took me years to finally finish DS9. Enterprise, again, I never got into. So Trek TV has less than a 50/50 hit rate for me. Still hopeful, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It very specifically says it's not linked to the movies (well, the upcoming one at least).

I don't think that putting it in the same universe really makes it "linked to". So long as they don't share plot points, they aren't really linked.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
A subscription service for bad US television? Who thinks of these things? HBO? sure. BBC? That would be awesome. But bad sitcoms and repetitive crime dramas? Ugh.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, poop. I glossed over the opening paragraph in which they said "subsequent episodes" will be VOD.

I'm out. If it isn't part of a channel's regular broadcast schedule, I don't watch. Yes, that means I'll also be missing Clarkson/May/Hammond in their newest venture.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, poop. I glossed over the opening paragraph in which they said "subsequent episodes" will be VOD.

I'm out. If it isn't part of a channel's regular broadcast schedule, I don't watch. Yes, that means I'll also be missing Clarkson/May/Hammond in their newest venture.

I watch very little as broadcast TV these days. Maybe a small handful of things. Streaming services are perfect for the way I watch TV. And for American stuff, I wouldn't have a clue what channels they were on.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Streaming services are perfect for the way I watch TV. And for American stuff, I wouldn't have a clue what channels they were on.

I don't mind it being on a streaming service. I mind it being on a separate, channel-specific streaming service. I subscribe to Netflix. I would be willing to consider getting Hulu+. But going for CBS' own proprietary streaming service that I have to pay yet another fee for? That's not something I'm apt to do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't mind it being on a streaming service. I mind it being on a separate, channel-specific streaming service. I subscribe to Netflix. I would be willing to consider getting Hulu+. But going for CBS' own proprietary streaming service that I have to pay yet another fee for? That's not something I'm apt to do.

Well, I *can't* do that, so I'm sure it will be available from other sources.

Ryujin

Legend

While not often, I do occasionally pay for specific online content. "The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?" and other docs, for example, in addition to supporting indie content through crowdfunding. Subscribing to a service, however, would be quite a barrier to me getting onboard. Less so if it's a pay-per-view setup. My gut tells me that this would be some sort of flagship programme, that they'll use to try and drum up subscriptions.

A TV show could do the sort of character and setting development, that the movies have been unable to do. It could be far better than the current crop of movies. Yeah, I know that I'm out in the wilderness on my feelings about the movies with some, but they just don't feel like Star Trek to me.

I couldn't get into Voyager at all, and it took me years to finally finish DS9. Enterprise, again, I never got into. So Trek TV has less than a 50/50 hit rate for me. Still hopeful, though.

I watched "Voyager", but could never get to really like it. I have a standing invitation (challenge?) to debate a podcaster friend who thinks that Janeway is the best prototype of the Star Fleet officer. Shouldn't take long to put that down. DS9 had a bit of a turn-around for me once "Next Generation" started to fold production and they moved their best writers over to "DS9." "Enterprise" squandered the promise of fans seeing the birth of the Federation, in favour of parachuting in that terrible "temporal cold war" storyline. It was only once they'd already received their cancellation notice, that they got somewhat back on-track.

I'm hoping that "Star Trek: Axanar" will fulfill the promise of "Enterprise." It's a passion project by folks in the industry, who truly love the franchise.

Remove ads