New The Marvels - Official Trailer

ichabod

Legned
Looks like you have until November for the burn to cool.
Well, it being a sequel to a bunch of things I haven't seen is cooling my interest. But it's not clear if they're calling it a sequel because that character was in it, or because you need to know what happened in it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, it being a sequel to a bunch of things I haven't seen is cooling my interest. But it's not clear if they're calling it a sequel because that character was in it, or because you need to know what happened in it.

I suspect that'll depend. Like, if you didn't watch Ms. Marvel, you'll probably be lost as to who that kid is, and why she's wrapped up in all this.

But maybe Secret Invasion isn't so relevant? That show would probably tell you about Fury's state of mind, but I don't know if the events in that series are relevant to the plot of the movie.

Stalker0

Legend
hehe the only thing you need to know about Fury's state of mind. That Flerken cost him an eye and he's still petting it, he's gone crazy!!!!

pukunui

Legend
But maybe Secret Invasion isn't so relevant? That show would probably tell you about Fury's state of mind, but I don't know if the events in that series are relevant to the plot of the movie.
Jackson has supposedly said that Secret Invasion has to happen in order for The Marvels to happen.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Jackson has supposedly said that Secret Invasion has to happen in order for The Marvels to happen.

I know. But that doesn't necessarily mean you need to know the plot or detailed events of Secret Invasion in order to understand The Marvels.

Like, in a continuity sense, you have to have the Loki series happen in order for Spider-Man: No Way Home to happen, as you don't have a "multiverse" without Loki. But no actual knowledge of Loki is required. Doc Strange can wave his ands and say "multiverse" a lot, and the Spider Man movie works.

pukunui

Legend
I know. But that doesn't necessarily mean you need to know the plot or detailed events of Secret Invasion in order to understand The Marvels.
Perhaps. The rest of Jackson’s supposed quote indicates that they’re connected in an “interesting” way. (I say supposed because I’ve found several articles repeating the quote but have yet to find the actual source.)

Like, in a continuity sense, you have to have the Loki series happen in order for Spider-Man: No Way Home to happen, as you don't have a "multiverse" without Loki. But no actual knowledge of Loki is required. Doc Strange can wave his ands and say "multiverse" a lot, and the Spider Man movie works.
In all honesty, I don’t really know what to make of Loki or what its actual impact on the MCU is.

There was already a multiverse in the first Dr Strange movie, and the Ancient One warns Banner about diverging timelines in Endgame.

The sacred timeline is really a wound rope of multiple timelines that all follow the permitted script. It’s the ones that deviate from that script too much that get pruned.

Given how a big theme of No Way Home is that all three Parkers have similar story beats (death of the relative, the power and responsibility talk, etc), I think you could argue that the movie could have happened even without the events of Loki because those three Spider-Men would all have fallen within the allowed parameters of the sacred timeline’s script. (You could argue that the Spiderverse animated films couldn’t have happened without Loki first, though.)

That What If episode about Dr Strange also has the Ancient One making a point about story beats that have to happen a certain way (e.g. Strange can’t prevent the car crash from happening in some form no matter how hard he tries).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There was already a multiverse in the first Dr Strange movie, and the Ancient One warns Banner about diverging timelines in Endgame.

The nature of time is such that, once the sacred timeline is broken, it always was broken. The break happens "outside time", such that branching happen both before and after Loki stepped out of the timeline and into the TVA. In effect, throughout the MCU, the multiverse has always existed. The Ancient one (who still has the Time Stone) was the only one we'd seen aware of the multiverse. The Loki series tells us why, for us viewers who are also "outside time", the multiverse was never mentioned before (where "before" is for us outside the timeline).

How's that for a No Prize explanation? :p

The sacred timeline is really a wound rope of multiple timelines that all follow the permitted script. It’s the ones that deviate from that script too much that get pruned.

I don't believe that's ever clearly and unequivocally stated. It could just as easily be that any variance under a certain amount will ultimately rejoin the main timeline eventually. If it doesn't reach an "escape threshold", they can ignore it, as it comes back. Or maybe there's another explanation for their way of dealing with some variances and not others.

Remove ads