[Newbie Here] Help!?

Harlock

First Post
You're from Longview, well a small town near it? My dad was rfom Pittsburg. Poor sap. I live in San Angelo, out west. Welcome to the boards. As far as creating a character the Player's Handbook pretty much sums it up, as have these posts. Where does one shop for gaming stuff in Longview BTW, I may have to go out there for a family reunion next year and having a game store nearby could ease the pain (since I don't drink anymore.)

SxyLilCntryGal

First Post
well, i live pretty close to pittsburg. lol maybe about 45 minutes away. I am going through the handbook now, trying to figure it all out. It's just like Greek to me. I am so confused! Ugh! I wish I could just do it online. As far as shopping places, I am not really sure. I think Books A Million sells stuff. Circuit City and Best Buy probably would to. :) Good luck lol

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
KnowTheToe said:
The CD is easier and is an excellent tool for you to see how the different classes work and how levels effect each class.

The CD is, IIRC, also as buggy as a Louisiana bayou in late July. It does the job, but you can't count on it to do it right unless you download patches.

Henry

Autoexreginated
SxyLilCntryGal, welcome to the boards! Ryan, you'll earn that coffee mug and commemorative T-Shirt yet! :)

Seriously, if you have any questions, feel free to post them. We do also have a Rules Forum where quite a lot of knowledgeable folks hang out, who would be glad to answer specific questions about rules, or how something works.

Do you have a Dungeon Master (also called a Game Master) who you will be playing with?

One thing about the boards: We try to be as friendly and non-hostile to one another here as we can; there is a link to the boards Frequently asked questions near the top of the General Forum page. If you see anyone breaking the rules from that (we only have a couple of rules), then feel free to report it to a moderator, such as myself, Darkness, Dinkeldog, etc. or one of the Administrators.

Have fun, and hope we can help!

Henry
ENWorld Moderator

JoeGKushner

First Post
SxyLilCntryGal said:
First of all, how do i go about creating a character?

Depends on the GM.

In most cases, it's roll 4d6, keep the best 3d6 of the lot.

Arrange to suit taste.

Note that taste usually vary according to the character class in question.

Another failing of the PHB is that there are no pregenrated characters but enough modules have them that it's not a true issue.

Who are you playing with that you need our help? Online game or ?

boxstop7

First Post
Originally posted by Rashak Mani
You Gay too ? hhmm...
nevermind that question...

Joke or no joke, t'was in very poor taste...

Anyway...

First and foremost, welcome to the boards! Secondly, welcome to the wonderful world of D&D!

Having said that, (and admittedly having not read every single reply to this thread), I'd say sit down with a cup of [insert tasty beverage], your Player's Handbook, and read the first three chapters. Try to understand, as best you can, what things like "ability scores" and "modifiers" really are and what they do. Familiarize yourself with the various character races and character classes. From there, pick a race and a class you think you'd like to play.

At this point, I'd recommend (as no doubt countless others have also done) having a conversation with your dungeon master or game master (the person in charge of running the game). Discuss with him/her the specifics like skill points, feats and equipment. As a player and a DM, I can safely say that in my experience, each DM has his/her own particular way in which they'd like the rules to be followed or interpreted. What's most important is making sure you and your DM are on the same page.

As someone else said, take some time to familiarize yourself with the character sheet you'll be using as well. Do your best to learn what numbers go where, and what they mean. Find out if your DM has a particular sheet or style he/she prefers.

It seems like a lot, and it is. In the beginning, it's really more like studying a text book. I'd say you'd be better off understanding the terms and figures with which you're working before you dive right in to creating a character. I think that two or three hours you spend just reading and absorbing the first three chapters of your Player's Handbook will be invaluable.

And remember, there are some amazing people on EN World. One or more of them is bound to help you out, should more questions arise! :)

~Box

SxyLilCntryGal

First Post
I appreciate everyone's help. And, I don't have a DM, I am just sorta trying to learn. I have never done anything like this before, so I am hoping everyone can be a little understanding. I'd like to learn it without being worried I am going to tick someone off.

Rashak Mani

First Post
SxyLilCntryGal,

I remember the first time I was trying to figure out how things worked BEFORE I actually saw a game. I kept asking my friend HOW it worked. Its really hard to understand until you actually play/watch the game. So I know what your going thru.

Try to read the begining of the Players Handbook. Most of the material in the front is made to be simple and direct. Its done to help out newcomers. Read less about rules and a bit more about races and classes, background... rules will just confuse you right away.

After you read a bit and you know what a Half Orc is versus what a Dwarf or a Fighter is... you go back to those pesky rules. Try to play as soon as possible so you will see its not that complicated. In the end its all about having fun... talking with people you like and acting out different personalities, types and sometimes even aspects of yourself.

Remove ads