[Newbie Here] Help!?

Bloodstone Mage

First Post
SxyLilCntryGal said:
I think I am going to get the hang of all this. Slowly. Blood Mage... I am from a little town near Longview. You?

I reside in Lubbock, conveniently within walking distance of my FLGS, Mad Hatter's House of Games.

Wicht

Hero
Speaking from experience, Roleplaying is a lonely hobby when you try to do it on your own.

Best thing you can do is find someone to learn it with. If you can't find anyone in your area who already games I would advise you to try to get into one of the play by post games on this board. It is much easier learning to make a character when you have someone to walk you through it.

But if you can't find anyone, the easiest way to learn is to use the Players Handbook to go step by step through the character process, recording it all on a sheet. Ignore most of the rules for the moment except as how they apply to charact creation. After you have made about five characters step by step, you should be able to do them easily on your own whenever and understand what the numbers all mean.

Balgus

First Post
If you can find someone (or you have) that has a3.0 book, first or second print run, there is a Cd-rom that came with it. It goes through the basics of character generating so that you don't have to. You just have to make choices... once you get to playing abit more, all the numbers will make sense.

Other than that, there is nothing I can tell you that hasn't been said already.

And if you can't locate the cdrom, just email me your address, and i can send you a copy of mine

balgus_de_fanel@yahoo.com

drnuncheon

Explorer
The absolute best way to learn is from someone who alreayd knows how to play. I'd volunteer but you live near the wrong Pittsburgh. ;)

One thing you might consider is (since you're obviously computer literate) trying one of the online text-based games that use the D&D system. The advantage to going there is that you'll be communicating with other people in more or less realtime, which makes it a lot easier to ask questions. I don't have the addresses for any handy, but two I remember (that I think are still running) are Treyvan and Winter's Edge.

J

reapersaurus

First Post
go to a local gaming store, or have some friends show you in real life (not online) how it works.

It is 100 times easier, more effecient, and better for all involved that way.

Welcome.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I found the best way for me was to come up with a character concept and then , with an experienced player, find the traits that best suited my concept and go from there.

Welcome to the boards.

Remove ads