[Newbie Here] Help!?

Voadam

Legend
First, come up with a character concept, swashbukler, knight, sorceress, laura croft type adventurer, etc.

Think about what character race you want to play (human, elf, etc.)

Based on your concept look over the classes and see what fits best.

If you are in Angelsbois game ask him what method of ability score generation he allows, there a few methods, mostly dice rolling or allocating points.

follow that method to generate your ability scores. Ability scores define a creatures raw capabilities, strength, intelligence, charisma, health, etc.

Write them down on your character sheet.

Write down the race and class you chose.

Look up your race and class abilities so you are aware of what your character can do. Write them down on your sheet for reference in game.

Pick feats (special abilities you choose).

Pick skills and allocate skill points(knowledge, work skills, hiding, swimming, social interaction skills, etc.).

Pick spells if necessary for your class.

Pick equipment.

You are ready to go with a fully made character (mechanics-wise).

Pick a character name.

Come up with some background story.

Think up some personality characteristics for how the character will react to others.

You might need to come up with how the character is integrated with the campaign world and the other characters (She's from this town and knew X, Y, and Z since childhood).

You are ready to go.

One person is the DM, work with them in doing all the steps, they should help you out and tell you if anything in that particular game world is different from the standard one in the rule book (restricted or expanded list of races, classes, feats, etc.)

Last edited:

Kyramus

First Post
Do you have a guy that is running a game? That guy is the DM.

As for making a character, do you have something in mind? Like what race, or what abilities the character can do? Also when generating ability scores, you will need to ask your DM how he wants his players to do it.

The standard is 4d6 drop the lowest, generate 6 scores. Then apply the scores to Str, DX, CN, IN, WIS, CH from these ability scores we see the bonuses or penalties that is applied to the character. Higher the score, the bigger the bonus.

After you have done the scores, check the race that you want. Some have plusses and minuses to their ability scores. When you have adjusted them, then pick a class.

Easiest to play is Fighter. All you have to worry about is your HP, your armor, your weapons, and the main thing for the fighter are fighter feats. The skills at this point become a customizing tool. Do you want the fighter to know how to do carpentry work, or some other skill.

Other characters can give you spells, other skill sets and of course the overall feel of the character.

Let's start on these and see how far you go with it. :)

randomling

First Post
SxyLilCntryGal said:
First of all, how do i go about creating a character?

You have the Player's Handbook? If not... well, I don't know if the old SRD is still up.

Basics though:

First, roll four six-sided dice. Whichever die came up lowest - put that on one side. Then add the totals of the other three together, and write that number down.

Example: you might roll 6, 5, 4, 2. Put the 2 on one side and add the 6, 5, and 4 together: that's 15.

Then roll all 4 dice another 5 times, doing the same drop-the-lowest-and-add-together procedure each time. You should end up with 6 figures between 3 and 18. They're your ability scores.

Next, select your race and class. Your races is the species you belong to. Your class is like your job or profession.

Run-down on the races:

Human: good at pretty much anything.
Elf: agile but frail; good at magic and archery.
Dwarf: tough but gruff. Good warriors, bad magicians.
Halfling: weak but agile; good at sneaking around.
Gnome: weak but tough. Good at illusions and talking with furry creatures.
Half-orc: strong, but not too bright. Great tanks, dreadful spellcasters.
Half-elf: some elf-like traits, but versatile like humans.

And the classes:

Barbarian: fast and angry fighting type.
Bard: singing and magic, all in one.
Cleric: priest-type person.
Druid: nature priest.
Fighter: good at bashing people with weapons.
Monk: good at bashing people with fists, and running a lot.
Paladin: holy (and usually holier-than-thou) knight.
Ranger: dedicated and focused hunter.
Rogue: thief, diplomat, philanderer or spy.
Sorcerer: spellcaster with inborn magic.
Wizard: spellcaster with books.

After choosing your race and class, assign ability scores to specific abilities:

Strength: people with a high Strength are, well, strong. Low Strength people are weak. Strength is important for barbarians, paladins and monks, most fighters, and lots of rangers. It's thoroughly unimportant for wizards and sorcerers.

Dexterity: people with a high Dexterity are agile; if you have a low Dexterity you are clumsy. Dexterity is most important for rogues, most rangers, and some fighters. It's not much use to clerics.

Constitution: people with a high Constitution are tough to kill; people with a low Consitution are sickly or frail. Constitution is important for everyone, but most of all fighters, barbarians, paladins and monks.

Intelligence: brains, learning power, and logic. This is important for wizards and rogues, and not much use to many fighters or barbarians.

Wisdom: wise people are in tune with the world around them or perceptive. Wisdom is crucial for druids, clerics, rangers and paladins, and probably least important to fighters and rogues.

Charisma: force of personality, and to a certain extent attractiveness. Crucial for bards and sorcerers, useful to clerics and paladins, and useless for barbarians and fighters.

There is much more to character creation but this post is long enough! Maybe someone should pick up where I left off?

Bloodstone Mage

First Post
Welcome to the boards, SxyLilCntryGal! I chimed in a little late, but there's some great advice posted already on creating a character.

By the way, where in Texas are you from?

CyberVenom

First Post
I'm a newbie in much of the same way as SxyLilCntryGal is, so I've got a few questions as well.

Would it be easier to use the CD-Rom that I've got when creating a character? Or should I just go by hand.

Is there a place online to play? Being in the area I'm at, the only people who play are "smoking" also, and not in the legal way either.

Thanks for any help!

KnowTheToe

First Post
CyberVenom said:
I'm a newbie in much of the same way as SxyLilCntryGal is, so I've got a few questions as well.

Would it be easier to use the CD-Rom that I've got when creating a character? Or should I just go by hand.

Is there a place online to play? Being in the area I'm at, the only people who play are "smoking" also, and not in the legal way either.

Thanks for any help!

The CD is easier and is an excellent tool for you to see how the different classes work and how levels effect each class.

You will learn more doing it by hand. I say start with the CD and then do a few by hand. Once you get the hang of it, use the CD or paper, which ever you like best. I prefer the CD or other similar tools.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Any friend of Ryan's is a friend of mine. Welcome SxyLilCntryGal.

You too, CyberVenom.

There used to be a little intro of some sorts on the WotC website, but I can not seem to find it right now. Anyone else know what I am talking about?

Remove ads