D&D General Night Below: An Underdark Campaign

General_Tangent

Adventurer
I find myself once more looking at the AD&D Night Below campaign on my shelf and flipping through the pdfs I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions for maps I can use for the Roll20 VTT?

Stormonu

Legend
If you have the PDF's from DriveThru*, you should be able to select the maps in Book 4 (Maps and Handouts) and copy them into your favorite image editor (Paint, Gimp, whatever Adobe is offering) and save them in a format for loading up into Roll20 (I'd suggest PNG). I use Foxit PDF reader, and you can select the maps by going to Home --> Snapshot and then drawing a rectangle around the map portion you want to copy to the clipboard.

You can also do a search for "Night Below maps" - there's several people have recreated with map-making software that look even better than the originals.

* If you don't have access to Book 4 PDF for some reason, DriveThru has the whole thing on sale at the moment at 6$ for the PDFS
DriveThru Night Below

TheSword

Legend
I find myself once more looking at the AD&D Night Below campaign on my shelf and flipping through the pdfs I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions for maps I can use for the Roll20 VTT?
Do you want exact replicas of the original maps just in colour for VTT or are you looking for similar maps you can repurpose.

If it’s the latter, I can heartily recommend both Heroic Maps and Seafoot Games. Their patreons give access to a huge library of maps for VTT and many of they underground maps are spectacular. There’s a brilliant crystal castle map that would be perfect for the Rockseers and many others.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If you have the PDF's from DriveThru*, you should be able to select the maps in Book 4 (Maps and Handouts) and copy them into your favorite image editor (Paint, Gimp, whatever Adobe is offering) and save them in a format for loading up into Roll20 (I'd suggest PNG). I use Foxit PDF reader, and you can select the maps by going to Home --> Snapshot and then drawing a rectangle around the map portion you want to copy to the clipboard.
I ran this last year and this is what I did. Just get the pdf and adjust the size and resolution you want in photoshop (or whatever) and import into VTT.

As an aside to the OP, some advice. As I said, I just reran this campaign, and I ran into some things. First is that Carl Sargent really hated PCs lol. In fact, he literally spells it out several times that PC need to run away or they will all die. This happens a lot in the campaign. You know your players, so decide if you need to adjust encounters to fit how they play. For example, if you have players that won't have fun running away all the time, you might want to adjust them, or implement more opportunities for the PCs to recruit allies within the caverns. Second, if you prefer a hack and slash old school approach, the campaign is just fine. But if you want more story driving plots and continuity, you may have to do some extra DM pre-work to tie in everything together. Many encounters seem like they only exist as XP dispensers, and that's it. This is especially true in Book II.

General_Tangent

Adventurer

You can also do a search for "Night Below maps" - there's several people have recreated with map-making software that look even better than the originals.

* If you don't have access to Book 4 PDF for some reason, DriveThru has the whole thing on sale at the moment at 6$ for the PDFS
DriveThru Night Below

The pdf copies I have come from the very early days of the WotC storefront where they sold their pdfs.

I have since repurchased the files from Drivethru and they look much better, I'm guessing that they rescanned the original documents.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Do you want exact replicas of the original maps just in colour for VTT or are you looking for similar maps you can repurpose.

If it’s the latter, I can heartily recommend both Heroic Maps and Seafoot Games. Their patreons give access to a huge library of maps for VTT and many of they underground maps are spectacular. There’s a brilliant crystal castle map that would be perfect for the Rockseers and many others.

I shall look into both of these companies, thank you.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
I ran this last year and this is what I did. Just get the pdf and adjust the size and resolution you want in photoshop (or whatever) and import into VTT.

As an aside to the OP, some advice. As I said, I just reran this campaign, and I ran into some things. First is that Carl Sargent really hated PCs lol. In fact, he literally spells it out several times that PC need to run away or they will all die. This happens a lot in the campaign. You know your players, so decide if you need to adjust encounters to fit how they play. For example, if you have players that won't have fun running away all the time, you might want to adjust them, or implement more opportunities for the PCs to recruit allies within the caverns. Second, if you prefer a hack and slash old school approach, the campaign is just fine. But if you want more story driving plots and continuity, you may have to do some extra DM pre-work to tie in everything together. Many encounters seem like they only exist as XP dispensers, and that's it. This is especially true in Book II.

I did try to run it for my old group a while ago using D&D3.5 with some conversion notes. The entire party ended up being wiped out by a pack of dogs while investigating the Kidnapping on the Moors.

I'm going to make a few adjustments to the scenario this time to account for this horrible event.

Stormonu

Legend
The pdf copies I have come from the very early days of the WotC storefront where they sold their pdfs.

I have since repurchased the files from Drivethru and they look much better, I'm guessing that they rescanned the original documents.
That was what I had suspected - I had the old scans as well and repurchased after seeing they'd been updated on Drive-Thru (and was on sale). I've notices several of the old PDFs have been redone similarly (removing bleed-through, cleaning covers/interiors, rescanning and assembling the maps so they're not in a hundred pieces, etc.)

Remove ads