D&D General Night Below: An Underdark Campaign

Nebulous

Legend
Do you want exact replicas of the original maps just in colour for VTT or are you looking for similar maps you can repurpose.

If it’s the latter, I can heartily recommend both Heroic Maps and Seafoot Games. Their patreons give access to a huge library of maps for VTT and many of they underground maps are spectacular. There’s a brilliant crystal castle map that would be perfect for the Rockseers and many others.
That's what I recommend. There are hundreds of maps out there similar enough to repurpose and upload to the VTT. I even repurpose maps I already purchased through Roll20 that have all the dynamic lighting embedded.

TheSword

Legend
That's what I recommend. There are hundreds of maps out there similar enough to repurpose and upload to the VTT. I even repurpose maps I already purchased through Roll20 that have all the dynamic lighting embedded.
Yes. I love the Night Below but several of the dungeon/cave complexes are very simplistic. Essentially a cave with several chambers of it.

The maps get worse the further on you progress. Great Shaboath is particularly dire.

Stormonu

Legend
Yes. I love the Night Below but several of the dungeon/cave complexes are very simplistic. Essentially a cave with several chambers of it.

The maps get worse the further on you progress. Great Shaboath is particularly dire.
I wonder if redrawing them in isometic view and adding in some height aspects might help spice things up, and should still be usable in a VTT.

TheSword

Legend
I wonder if redrawing them in isometic view and adding in some height aspects might help spice things up, and should still be usable in a VTT.
The isometric element doesn’t float my boat but you’re absolutely right that height variations - alternative level paths, multiple tunnels etc would be useful. It is a very combat heavy campaign and I think it needs to make things more dynamic.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I don't own The Night Below, but have considered getting a PoD version in the past. So I am watching this thread carefully. I got interested in it because of Matt Colville's videos about running it.

TheSword

Legend
I don't own The Night Below, but have considered getting a PoD version in the past. So I am watching this thread carefully. I got interested in it because of Matt Colville's videos about running it.
It’s a good read.

The first book. Evils of Haranshire is Lost Mines of Phandelver for my generation. I’ve ran it on it’s own a group and it did very well.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
It’s a good read.

The first book. Evils of Haranshire is Lost Mines of Phandelver for my generation. I’ve ran it on it’s own a group and it did very well.
Thanks but not having read or played through LMoP that comparison is lost on me. Most of the adventures I run are conversions out of 1E/2E era Dungeon mag (the best/most interesting adventures ever made for D&D in my opinion) or 1E modules. But I do like to occasionally branch out and try other things even though I am a "run thing as written" atheist. :ROFLMAO:

Stormonu

Legend
Thanks but not having read or played through LMoP that comparison is lost on me. Most of the adventures I run are conversions out of 1E/2E era Dungeon mag (the best/most interesting adventures ever made for D&D in my opinion) or 1E modules. But I do like to occasionally branch out and try other things even though I am a "run thing as written" atheist. :ROFLMAO:
Please, run The Winter Tapestry (Dungeon #78) - I'm dying to find out what modern gamers think of my old adventure.

Though I haven't run Night Below, I suspect book one also plays similar to T1 - Village of Hommlet. ;)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Please, run The Winter Tapestry (Dungeon #78) - I'm dying to find out what modern gamers think of my old adventure.

Oh man! I wish I had that issue! My collection of Dungeons has a few gaps in the early days and the latter days, including missing #78 and #79! But I am always looking to complete my collection from the pre-3E days (despite playing 3E for 16 years, looking at 3E statblocks now gives me a migraine o_O) so if I find a copy and read it I will let you know what I think.

Remove ads