D&D General Night Below: An Underdark Campaign

Zardnaar

Legend
I have run pt I in 5E. It's really good idk if I would bother with pt II and III.

One problem is rescue NPCs they've never met that they might find level 12-15 which might be years later irl.

Pt 2&3 very grindy.

Last edited:

I have rub pt I in 5E. It's really good idk if I would bother with pt II and III.

One problem is rescue NPCs they've never met tgat they might find level 12-15 which might be years later irl.

Pt 2&3 very grindy.
That is about my experience. Although PT 2 makes up for the grind with fantastical locations and encounters.

There is a great point you raise.
Maybe have them encounter Jeleneath before she is kidnapped. Maybe instead of some anonymous Mage sending adventurers in, they could meet her a few days before aking for some ingredients, which are not immediately available. And she asks the adventurers to deliver them when they are available again. She does not want to spend that time in the City because her time with her fiance is short enough anyway.

Zardnaar

Legend
That is about my experience. Although PT 2 makes up for the grind with fantastical locations and encounters.

There is a great point you raise.
Maybe have them encounter Jeleneath before she is kidnapped. Maybe instead of some anonymous Mage sending adventurers in, they could meet her a few days before aking for some ingredients, which are not immediately available. And she asks the adventurers to deliver them when they are available again. She does not want to spend that time in the City because her time with her fiance is short enough anyway.

I use pt 1 essentially like LMoP it's the 1st "modern" adventure.

Put the hostages in the keep end of Pt I skip the rest or use parts of it or as inspiration.

You probably can't convert it that well anyway as amount of killing will rocket you through the levels to fast.

So you'll need to truncate it anyway.

I use pt 1 essentially like LMoP it's the 1st "modern" adventure.

Put the hostages in the keep end of Pt I skip the rest or use parts of it or as inspiration.

You probably can't convert it that well anyway as amount of killing will rocket you through the levels to fast.

So you'll need to truncate it anyway.
I have already converted it and it worked well enough*. But yes, the first part has always been my favourite and your suggestion makes sense.

*the biggest problem actually is going from 1 minute rounds to 6 second rounds. That shifts the dynamic of some encounters.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have already converted it and it worked well enough*. But yes, the first part has always been my favourite and your suggestion makes sense.

*the biggest problem actually is going from 1 minute rounds to 6 second rounds. That shifts the dynamic of some encounters.

I don't think we completed it in 2E. Got to the city and gave up due to boredom iirc.

Not a fan of megadungeons. Ram pt 1 almost as written early on on 5E and loved it.

Reminded me of LMoP and Paizo stuff.

You coukd run thus then Labyrinth of Madness. Good chance of TPK.

I don't think we completed it in 2E. Got to the city and gave up due to boredom iirc.

Not a fan of megadungeons. Ram pt 1 almost as written early on on 5E and loved it.

Reminded me of LMoP and Paizo stuff.

You coukd run thus then Labyrinth of Madness. Good chance of TPK.
I completed it once in AD&D as a player. We played it a second time with a different DM and a few changes.

I ran it in 4e until the start of PT 2. PT worked well. PT2 not so much.
I ran it in D&D next halfway through PT 1. Worked well too. Then I shelved it, because all players had at least played parts of it. And I wanted to run different things.

Zardnaar

Legend
I completed it once in AD&D as a player. We played it a second time with a different DM and a few changes.

I ran it in 4e until the start of PT 2. PT worked well. PT2 not so much.
I ran it in D&D next halfway through PT 1. Worked well too. Then I shelved it, because all players had at least played parts of it. And I wanted to run different things.

Got your mobeys worth. It got referenced in 3E as well.

Got your mobeys worth. It got referenced in 3E as well.
Oh damn i forgot. I played it in 3e and 3.5 over the course of several years at the university. PT 1 was blast. PT was also a blast, but due to my players spreading over the country, we only played 2 times a year for a weekend, but made it to level 11 and finished book 2 in an epic battle.
But this epic battle was also, what burned me out a bit as a 3.5 DM. Mainly because all my work done for the Big baddies went to waste, as they died by scry/buff/teleport/artillary fire. That fight was still totally epic, but it really showed the flaws of 3.5 too. That is too much work for too little gain. I hope I can play it with 5e 2024 rules once they are available. I just have to find people with enough time.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh damn i forgot. I played it in 3e and 3.5 over the course of several years at the university. PT 1 was blast. PT was also a blast, but due to my players spreading over the country, we only played 2 times a year for a weekend, but made it to level 11 and finished book 2 in an epic battle.
But this epic battle was also, what burned me out a bit as a 3.5 DM. Mainly because all my work done for the Big baddies went to waste, as they died by scry/buff/teleport/artillary fire. That fight was still totally epic, but it really showed the flaws of 3.5 too. That is too much work for too little gain. I hope I can play it with 5e 2024 rules once they are available. I just have to find people with enough time.

You the naster of that adventure. Partly played twice and mined it. Didn't have access to it for 12/26 years.

You the naster of that adventure. Partly played twice and mined it. Didn't have access to it for 12/26 years.
I bought it as a box in 2001 (for just 30 dollars when it was 100 on most platforms) in a near mint status.

I think I can run most of PT1 from my head. Maybe some maps are a bit less detailed than they should be, but I guess I have memorized most of it.

That really speaks for the design. It is memorable.

Remove ads