• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Character Builder Update

Njall

Explorer
What's all this "angry" and "mad" talk? I don't get it. No one is mad or angry. We just don't want to pay for something we aren't getting.

If the EULA says, "We don't have to update the Character Builder." Fine.

But, guess what? No update. No $$$. This kind of shenanigans is going to make me decide to not renew my annual subscription (going since the beginning) and start the method of updating once a year or whatever for $10. Now, what do you think the best course for WotC is? Try to keep the annual subscribers shelling out $$$ in advance for an entire year or not?

It's not about being mad or angry. It's about paying for something that was scheduled to happen and didn't. It's about annual subscribers (or people who subscribed for September expecting an update for Dark Sun) getting screwed.

It's about customer service and timely product.

If you aren't angry or upset, then that part of my post wasn't aimed at you, isn't it obvious?
On the other hand, I fail to see how anyone got "screwed", considering that, as noted, a monthly update wasn't guaranteed when you subscribed.

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
But, guess what? No update. No $$$. This kind of shenanigans is going to make me decide to not renew my annual subscription (going since the beginning) and start the method of updating once a year or whatever for $10. Now, what do you think the best course for WotC is? Try to keep the annual subscribers shelling out $$$ in advance for an entire year or not?

Yearly subscription. All this ire over SIX DOLLARS?

Maybe you have other reasons to not renew, like the magazine content. Your post is just an example to illustrate scale.

DDI is still up and fully functional. That includes the compendium, magazines, art galleries, builder applications, and whatever else I've missed. You're getting something for that $6.00 this month. Bandwidth and servers aren't free. Those customer service reps taking complaints aren't free. All the writers that made the content aren't free.

And they are really generous with that content. Not many other subscription services let you keep the content after the fact. There's very few software programs that allow more than one instance to be installed. DDI gives you five and doesn't phone home to make sure you're paid up before you can use the program.

Vote with your wallet. I will too if I feel that DDI has stopped being worth the cost. Six bucks is a crappy fast food value meal or a fancy coffee. Is it really worth this much frustration? The effects of the stress alone have already reduced your life expectancy.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
If you aren't angry or upset, then that part of my post wasn't aimed at you, isn't it obvious?

I guess I'm just not seeing anyone here "angry".

On the other hand, I fail to see how anyone got "screwed", considering that, as noted, a monthly update wasn't guaranteed when you subscribed.

Here's how I got screwed:

I subscribed annually. I paid for September. I don't get an update. I lose out on the money I had going for the update.

A monthly subscriber, they can decide not to update for September, not pay for it. They don't lose anything.

So, the annual subscribers, the loyal customers, they are getting shafted compared to someone how just subscribes every couple of months or whatever...

I guess I should cancel my annual subscription and update whenever I see an update actually come out.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Yearly subscription. All this ire over SIX DOLLARS?

Maybe you have other reasons to not renew, like the magazine content. Your post is just an example to illustrate scale.

DDI is still up and fully functional. That includes the compendium, magazines, art galleries, builder applications, and whatever else I've missed. You're getting something for that $6.00 this month. Bandwidth and servers aren't free. Those customer service reps taking complaints aren't free. All the writers that made the content aren't free.

And they are really generous with that content. Not many other subscription services let you keep the content after the fact. There's very few software programs that allow more than one instance to be installed. DDI gives you five and doesn't phone home to make sure you're paid up before you can use the program.

Vote with your wallet. I will too if I feel that DDI has stopped being worth the cost. Six bucks is a crappy fast food value meal or a fancy coffee. Is it really worth this much frustration? The effects of the stress alone have already reduced your life expectancy.

Actually, less than $6. I asked for a partial refund.

I'm not stressed. *shrug* I just want my money back. It's the principle of the matter.

Njall

Explorer
I guess I'm just not seeing anyone here "angry".

Here's how I got screwed:

I subscribed annually. I paid for September. I don't get an update. I lose out on the money I had going for the update.

That's precisely the point: you didn't pay for the update, you paid for access to DDI. The monthly update may or may not happen (or, at least, it's what it's written in the EULA you signed).
In other words, while you can reasonably expect a monthly update, it's not a given that they'll issue a patch every month. That's why you didn't get screwed: your claims are based on the false premise that you bought the update and you didn't get it, while you didn't pay for the update in the first place (or, at least, that's what the EULA said).
You paid for access to the DDI tools and the magazines, which you got.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
That's precisely the point: you didn't pay for the update, you paid for access to DDI.

I also don't pay for a waiter to bring me new beer when my glass gets emptied. I also don't pay for my steak to be make it there while it's still hot. I also don't pay for the waiter to smile and be friendly to me and help me with my order.

Yet, those are all things I expect when I go to restaurant. Hmmm. Are they obligated to do that? Nah. Of course not.

Will I go back to that restaurant if my steak comes out cold, waiter ignores my table, etc...? Nah. Of course not.

I'll still pay for my meal. And, I'll still be polite myself. I might mention something to the manager in hopes this doesn't happen to future customers. But, I'm definitely not going to be a customer anymore.

Njall

Explorer
I also don't pay for a waiter to bring me new beer when my glass gets emptied. I also don't pay for my steak to be make it there while it's still hot. I also don't pay for the waiter to smile and be friendly to me and help me with my order.

Yet, those are all things I expect when I go to restaurant. Hmmm. Are they obligated to do that? Nah. Of course not.

Will I go back to that restaurant if my steak comes out cold, waiter ignores my table, etc...? Nah. Of course not.

I'll still pay for my meal. And, I'll still be polite myself. I might mention something to the manager in hopes this doesn't happen to future customers. But, I'm definitely not going to be a customer anymore.

Except that, in this case, you were told in advance that the waiter might not smile at you and might not help you with your order. And you said you were ok with it ( when you signed the EULA ).

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Except that, in this case, you were told in advance that the waiter might not smile at you and might not help you with your order. And you said you were ok with it ( when you signed the EULA ).

No. I said WotC isn't obligated to update. If a new book comes out, I still expect them to. If there were no new content to be updated, I wouldn't expect an update.

When I go to a restaurant (or any other service based industry), they're not obligated, I still expect them to.

But, like I said earlier. This is a good way to re-evaluate my annual subscription to D&D Insider. I'm not angry. I just know now not to be an annual subscriber.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Not to interrupt the slap fight, but my current problem with DDI is that Adventure Tools won't update (its says the update server is down) and it keeps crashing so I'm going to have to reinstall it.

Njall

Explorer
No. I said WotC isn't obligated to update. If a new book comes out, I still expect them to. If there were no new content to be updated, I wouldn't expect an update.

When I go to a restaurant (or any other service based industry), they're not obligated, I still expect them to.

And why exactly do you expect them to, when they said in advance that they may or may not? Again, I hate to bring up the EULA every other post, but it never mentioned new books. What it basically said was "we'll update the DDI tools whenever we see fit".
That's why I disagree with you, even if I'd like to see some sort of compensation as well.

Remove ads