No more WotC Star Wars - announcement

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
For what it's worth, SWSE had two things made by fans that made it a lot easier to use - Omegadex is a .pdf with the locations of every...well, thing, in the system, telling you what book and page they're on. Sagasheet is a .xls chargen that's updated fully except for Scavanger's Guide to Droids and Galaxy of Intrigue.

pukunui

Legend
For what it's worth, SWSE had two things made by fans that made it a lot easier to use - Omegadex is a .pdf with the locations of every...well, thing, in the system, telling you what book and page they're on. Sagasheet is a .xls chargen that's updated fully except for Scavanger's Guide to Droids and Galaxy of Intrigue.
Those aren't the only options for those things either. I actually prefer ewokontoast's Saga index spreadsheets (they don't really have a name). There's also the SagaForce xls sheet, although at the moment Sagasheet is more up-to-date.

SWSE is my game of choice and while I am disappointed that it has now officially ended, I am not surprised. The signs have been there for some time. I am also somewhat relieved. I've now got a "finished" product I can play with in perpetuity. No more new products means my wallet (and my wife) will be a lot happier. No more urges to spend, spend, spend!!!* No more options bloat. Nothing to look forward to either though ... So disappointed but relieved as well.

*I haven't bought a 4e book since the FRPG. The Unknown Regions will probably be the last WotC product I purchase in a very long time.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
oof. I actually gave up on SWSE after there were hundreds of talents per class. (And they're not even as organized as 4e, where at least powers are stratified into levels, reducing the sea of options into a small pond.) IMO, it badly needs something like DDI for organization.

-O

True, however, for some reason it feels like there are more in 4e because the size of each entry, and how much pages are devoted to each class in the PHB (at least in my mind it seems like its more, which was why 4e overwhelms me mentally).

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
IMO, it badly needs something like DDI for organization.
A Character Builder for SWSE would've been nice but it wasn't something we were ever going to get what with the fact that WotC would've needed to purchase a separate license for electronic Star Wars media from LucasArts. I know a while back Rodney said he was looking into it. I'm guessing maybe LucasArts said no and that probably contributed to WotC deciding not to continue with the license.

Fortunately for us fans, we've got some unofficial Excel-based "character generators" and indices that help speed up the process of building a character and referencing the rules.

delericho

Legend
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's sad to see the end of the line.

On the other, as we discussed on another thread, they had started to run out of compelling topics for books. And given that the other alternative is another new edition, this is probably the right choice.

Of course, this now means that my edition of choice for all three of my go-to games will be out of print...

Obryn

Hero
True, however, for some reason it feels like there are more in 4e because the size of each entry, and how much pages are devoted to each class in the PHB (at least in my mind it seems like its more, which was why 4e overwhelms me mentally).
Naaah, I can see that. For me, the DDI single-handedly makes 4e manageable. I wasn't happy working with the organization of SWSE after the first few books, and I am fairly sure I would only be marginally happier with the organization of 4e without DDI.

I was also pretty unhappy with both the Force rules (especially at low levels) and with melee combat (regarding full attacks), but I still have a campaign in the planning stages where I partly sidestep this by having none of the PCs be force-users.

-O

pukunui

Legend
Naaah, I can see that. For me, the DDI single-handedly makes 4e manageable. I wasn't happy working with the organization of SWSE after the first few books, and I am fairly sure I would only be marginally happier with the organization of 4e without DDI.

I was also pretty unhappy with both the Force rules (especially at low levels) and with melee combat (regarding full attacks), but I still have a campaign in the planning stages where I partly sidestep this by having none of the PCs be force-users.

-O
You should definitely check out the fan-made resources if you are going to continue with SWSE at all. Both the excel-based character sheets and the indices come as close to DDI support for Saga as you're going to get.

Also, out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Force rules? I think it's a fantastic sub-system that would work well for a low-magic fantasy setting as well. And one way to solve low-level abuse is to restrict Skill Focus (I like simply making it a character-level feat only rather than a class bonus feat - but I've seen other people suggest restricting it to 7th level or giving it a scaling bonus).

No, SWSE isn't perfect ... but what game is? Every RPG needs a little tweaking - if not to make it more usable then just to make it better fit an individual group's playing style.

Remove ads