Nocturne of Sorrow, Orsal J

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Looks like only Quozen and Gloria can go faster then)

*Before they leave, Gloria guesses that she might be close enough to the monastery, so she uses a cantrip to send forth bright sparkling lights as a signal flare.*

*As Quozen and Gloria speed away towards the monastery, the other five move as fast as they can, though it is relatively clear that they will be overtaken shortly. Still, they try to buy whatever time they can.*

[SBLOCK=Quozen and Gloria]*As Gloria and Quozen continue toward the monastery, they see a woman of exquisite beauty wearing the robes and holy symbol of a priestess come running towards them from the monastery proper.*

"Good evening, travelers. It is not often that we have visitors here...or I should say, it almost never happens. I saw your flare--are you in need of assistance?"
[/SBLOCK]

~~THE REST~~

*Before long, the horde of zombified corpses is about to overtake them. In a moment of desperation, as Dorrin and Valan are both calling out to Grendath, someone up there hears them and restores their divine magic, and Jace's as well, the energy flowing back into them.*

(OOC: The zombified horde had to move last round and is now 120 feet away. Any member of the slow group (all but Quozen and Gloria) can take any actions they like. The undead will reach them the next round and attack the round after.)

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
[sblock=RA]
Quozen slows to meet the woman, but keeps his running stance up.

"None for me, thank you, but our traveling companions are unable to keep up, and they are about to be overtaken by undead hordes! If you should be so generous, please help as many of them to arrive safely and alive at the monastery as possible. They are the living ones back there."
[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Quozen]"It is hard to see anything but a bright line at that distance in this filtered gloom, even though it is still the early afternoon, but I think I can make out the shapes you mention. I'm not sure if I will make it it time, but I will try. You two continue to the monastery."

*With that, unless Quozen has an immediate response, she runs off into the mid-day gloom and vanishes into the darkness.*
[/SBLOCK]

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
[sblock=RA]
Quozen bows as the woman departs.

"A thousand thanks."

He turns to check on Gloria.

"Gloria, I shall protect you to the end. We will reach the monastery, and I shall keep you safe, somehow, as we return. This I swear. We shall retrieve the Nocturne Shard. Look! It won't be long now before we can rest."

He continues his run.
[/sblock]

jaker2003

Explorer
Jace already has his heavy crossbow out, so let's double check that it's loaded and ready to fire.
Jace will try to identify the undead: Knowledge (religion) to identify zombie horde (1d20+6=11) (so much for that)

OOC: Jace was at 8/10 hp before leveling up, and gained 8 hp when ascending to level 2. So, is his HP at 8/18 or 16/18 ?

jaker2003 said:
OOC: Just thought it'd be handy to have the reference: Turning Undead[sblock=Turning Undead]
Code:
Table: Turning Undead
Turning Check   Most Powerful Undead Affected
Result          (Maximum Hit Dice) 
  -0            Cleric’s level -4 
 1—3            Cleric’s level -3 
 4—6            Cleric’s level -2 
 7—9            Cleric’s level -1 
10—12           Cleric’s level 
13—15           Cleric’s level +1 
16—18           Cleric’s level +2 
19—21           Cleric’s level +3 
 22+            Cleric’s level +4

Turning Checks
Turning undead is a supernatural ability that a character can perform as a standard action. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

You must present your holy symbol to turn undead. Turning is considered an attack.

Times per Day
You may attempt to turn undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. You can increase this number by taking the Extra Turning feat.

Range
You turn the closest turnable undead first, and you can’t turn undead that are more than 60 feet away or that have total cover relative to you. You don’t need line of sight to a target, but you do need line of effect.

Turning Check
The first thing you do is roll a turning check to see how powerful an undead creature you can turn. This is a Charisma check (1d20 + your Charisma modifier). Table: Turning Undead gives you the Hit Dice of the most powerful undead you can affect, relative to your level. On a given turning attempt, you can turn no undead creature whose Hit Dice exceed the result on this table.

Turning Damage
If your roll on Table: Turning Undead is high enough to let you turn at least some of the undead within 60 feet, roll 2d6 + your cleric level + your Charisma modifier for turning damage. That’s how many total Hit Dice of undead you can turn.

If your Charisma score is average or low, it’s possible to roll fewer Hit Dice of undead turned than indicated on Table: Turning Undead.

You may skip over already turned undead that are still within range, so that you do not waste your turning capacity on them.

Effect and Duration of Turning
Turned undead flee from you by the best and fastest means available to them. They flee for 10 rounds (1 minute). If they cannot flee, they cower (giving any attack rolls against them a +2 bonus). If you approach within 10 feet of them, however, they overcome being turned and act normally. (You can stand within 10 feet without breaking the turning effect—you just can’t approach them.) You can attack them with ranged attacks (from at least 10 feet away), and others can attack them in any fashion, without breaking the turning effect.

Destroying Undead
If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads