• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

non-4e D&D Players . . .

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I expect I'll buy the red box and the Rules Compendium, simply as a collector and someone who loves RPGs. I don't expect to start up a 4E game because of it.

scourger

Explorer
Wow, there's some bitterness in this thread! I'm quite new to D&D so don't really understand where people are coming from but it clearly goes far beyond a mere dislike of 4e's game mechanics!

It's not bitterness, just overload. I've enjoyed the game since 1980 in many different editions. But, 4e is just too much new & different information. I tried it. It just didn't do it for me (or most of my group). I don't think the new Essentials will be a throw-back or more accessible for me. I need something that is just about plug & play, fire & forget. I don't have the time or the inclination to learn & master reams of new rules & information. That is (unfortunately) true for any new game for me at this time.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
I doubt that I will buy the Essentials books or start running 4e again. I remain happy to play in 4e with a group of friends, but I find the books irritating because of their writing style, writing level, intellectual paucity, contempt for self-consistency, poor marriage of game design with role-playing, and game-world-as-facade approach to world-building. Note that all of that preceding sentence is my opinion and colored by my tastes; there are many intelligent, kind people who disagree with what I said.

If the books go back to a 3e and 1e style that filled me with a sense of wonder, then I will buy them. But I haven't seen anything to indicate that.

. . . will the new Essentials products get you to try (or retry) 4e?
- I already play in a 4e game, have a DDI, don't like the rules, do not like the style of play it encourages. Would never plan to DM a 4e game (I'm DMing a 3.5 Age of Worms campaign as well as planning out the Pathfinder Kingmaker campaign for the Pathfinder ruleset).
- However, for me I will most likely purchase the essentials line and see if it gives me a 4ee DMing bug.
- I think because I am more of the "gearhead" type of player mentioned upthread, that it is not going to appeal, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they are changing.
- For me and my hopes for D&D as a game and brand, 5e cannot come soon enough. 4e split the gaming community I interact with fair down the middle. I would like a 5e to get everyone back into the fold and perhaps 4ee is a stepping stone in that regard.

Ycore Rixle said:
If the books go back to a 3e and 1e style that filled me with a sense of wonder, then I will buy them.
As much as I would love this to be true, I think D&D has sold its soul in this regard and it makes me sad.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

radferth

First Post
Sort of

I'll probably pick up the rules compendium, as I do sometimes play 4e. (I'll play whatever the DM wants to run). The Essentials classes sound like I'd prefer them in a game to old 4e, but I'm not buying a dead tree version of any class books until WotC has demonstrated they've gotten over their need to constantly issue errata. It's certainly not enough to make me consider running 4E, I'm a world first, rules second kind of guy.

Remove ads