Non-martial exploits in Martial Power

Well, its mostly fluff. There's some broad mechanical themes running through the various power sources.
True, but I wouldn't even say that these themes are particularly exclusive. To put it another way, there are powers that resemble others across power sources.

To elaborate upon my previous comment about "restriction", I was mostly imagining the silliness associated with, "They can't publish <whatever race> before <blank> power source!!!1! WHat about there powerz?!!" which I find to be mostly BS. I feel that this development strengthens the validity of my position slightly.

FWIW, I sure wouldn't mind seeing some published feats that, for example, give some bonus to all Martial exploits or Arcane spells. I would like if there was a little bit of direct mechanical influence behind power sources.

To elaborate upon my previous comment about "restriction", I was mostly imagining the silliness associated with, "They can't publish <whatever race> before <blank> power source!!!1! WHat about there powerz?!!" which I find to be mostly BS. I feel that this development strengthens the validity of my position slightly.

BUT...but...but They can't publish Kalashar with out Psionic rules...;)

Ok, I think MOST races are fine...I do think some SHOULD wait for the power source to go with them...but that is not needed, example: Kalashar in 3e were awsome Soul Knives and Monks...if they come out before those classes alot of people will want those classes, and will fear that when they do come out the Kalashar will be forgotten...
FWIW, I sure wouldn't mind seeing some published feats that, for example, give some bonus to all Martial exploits or Arcane spells. I would like if there was a little bit of direct mechanical influence behind power sources.
I agree, I also think they droped the ball partialy w/martial power...I think a coupe "Martial" Attack, and "Martial" Utilities that any Martial character could take would be nice...

Example:
Disarm Martial Attack 7
with a flurish of your weapon you remove the target of his own.
Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee
Prereq: Must be trained in Intimadate
Target: 1 bloodied enimy
Attack: Str vs. Ref or Dex vs. Fort
Hit: 1[w]+ str or dex mod and the target drops his weapon as a free action and you may make a free intimadate check to force the surrender.
Special: If you have a flail or light blade you deal +1[w] damage

pemerton

Legend
I'd missed those ones in the FRPG - I'll have to look them up.

Do any monster powers indicate power sources? (I don't recall any.) If not, does this give us some indication that power source will only factor into character build mechanics, but not action resolution mechanics (so no anti-Arcane field, for example)? Or are there power source dependent action resolution mechanics that I haven't noticed?

Remove ads