[Not Suitable For Work] Build a Tiny Race

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I was designing a way to make a tiny race. At the moment, they are little animalistic hairy folk.

Currently it moves like this

Speed: 3
Half Crawl Hustle: When you have at least one free hand, add 3 to your speed.
Low Center: When you have at least one free hand, you may drop prone as a free action.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I was designing a way to make a tiny race. At the moment, they are little animalistic hairy folk.

Currently it moves like this

Speed: 3
Half Crawl Hustle: When you have at least one free hand, add 3 to your speed.
Low Center: When you have at least one free hand, you may drop prone as a free action.
Could you clarify Low Center for me a bit? As written, it looks like you can grant combat advantage to enemies as a free action if you have at least one hand free.

I would appreciate any explanation of the benefits of that ability. Danke

EP

First Post
The half crawl is definitely unique, I'll give you that. Could also work as a feat to expand an existing tiny creature too.

With falling prone, I'd say if Low Center was done in a way to grant an advantage in the action you actually fall prone (e.g. gain a +2 bonus to AC as an immediate reaction or something) at the consequence of being granting combat advantage at the start of the following round, it would make a little more sense.

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
Being prone grants combat advantage in melee. At range, it instead gives +2 to all defenses.

PH1 said:
PRONE
* You grant combat advantage to enemies making melee attacks against you.
* You get a +2 bonus to all defenses against ranged attacks from nonadjacent enemies.
* You’re lying on the ground. (If you’re flying, you safely descend a distance equal to your fly speed. If you don’t reach the ground, you fall.)
* You take a –2 penalty to attack rolls.
* You can drop prone as a minor action.

The ability to fall prone as a free action is cool, but it needs to be coupled with the ability to stand up from being prone as less than a move action - perhaps as a free action, but only on your own turn?

vyme

First Post
I'm currently working on this myself, creating a tiny slightly insectoid faerieish race. It flies, and fast flying doesn't seem that odd to me (and I do like the idea of an altitude limitation), but it'll probably still only have a move of four.

Might scale damage down slightly, but I'm pretty sure that a tiny dagger slicing open veins can do just as much (if not more) damage as a normal dagger slicing open veins.

My big issue is this: Four tiny creatures fit in a square, yeah? And it has a reach of 0, so it has to move into the square to attack. Do you think it's necessary to indicate what side of the square it occupies? Before anyone says, "no, why would it?" allow me to say: flanking. How the heck does flanking work with tiny creatures? I can't seem to figure it out/find it in any book. Is it buried in the DMG somewhere that anyone knows of?

Now, the easiest way to deal with this is to just say, no, it can't flank. Tiny is too tiny to really divert attention from the medium sized guy with the very large sword. And I'd be willing to accept this if we were talking about monsters but... A) The race is going to be +2dex/cha, and they're meant to make good rogues. And what, exactly, is the use of a non-flanking rogue? B) Since it's a PC class, that means that somewhere out there is (possibly) a 30th level rogue/sorcerer. Monsters would be wise to watch their backs, no matter how tiny the PC may be.

Any thoughts or resources for this issue?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well my small race ATM are gremlins. They look and act like crazy destructive monkeys with no tails and a lot less hair. They walk with their hands (well one of them) and move like four.. err.. three legged beasts. Being always crouched, they can drop prone quickly. Their racial power lets them jump on a larger creature's back and grant CA to all aliies while boosting their damage. A mix between the rogue powers Close quaters and Garrote grip.

Cwheeler

First Post
Soul Mote:
A soul mote is a soul that, for one reason or another, has not been claimed by the afterlife. It may even be a soul of someone yet to be born.

A soul mote appears as a floating wisp of light. it's color depends on the personality of the soul.

Soul Motes have Fly 5 (hover) with a height restriction of 2 squares.

A soul mote can absorb an weapon's essence, allowing it to attack as if it where wielding the item. This can also be done to other items, allowing the soul mote to behave as a fully equipped character.

Any items absorbed this way are destroyed in the process. The soul mote can destroy the essence that it holds within its self, producing essentia as if the item had been disenchanted.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
A very interesting concept, here. Would it be considered a racial trait to ignore tremorsense since the soul mote only flies?

EP

First Post
My big issue is this: Four tiny creatures fit in a square, yeah? And it has a reach of 0, so it has to move into the square to attack. Do you think it's necessary to indicate what side of the square it occupies? Before anyone says, "no, why would it?" allow me to say: flanking. How the heck does flanking work with tiny creatures? I can't seem to figure it out/find it in any book. Is it buried in the DMG somewhere that anyone knows of?

Any thoughts or resources for this issue?

There's nothing I can find (outside of Ask the Sage or anything similar) indicating tiny creatures cannot provide flank specifically, but it can be equally argued that they cannot for the very reasons you mention. But powers are rulebreakers and that's why we're designing rule breakers in the form of racial powers and traits.

Considering these creatures will be armed and feature a unique method of moving (as we've seen here), I think it's safe to say a tiny creature can shift "within his square" as a free action to cover the whole square in battle. I'm going to post up Exercise #2 tonight specifically to cover space and reach issues, so I'll be sure to make reference to flanking. I say they can, but would like to see some ideas on how these little guys can do it.

Remove ads