• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not With a Bang, I: Its Own Reward

Nojin begins shaking his head even as Baril is removing the lantern from the bag. "Aye we be in danger of not seeing, but we cant very well go walking around with a light so they know when we be commin. Best to be sending a dwarf or two ahead and have all ye surface lovers follow with the light. Come on Bellows ye come up front with me, we'll see what kind of stones ye be havin." Nojin then grabs the wizard and begins to drag him towards the front.

Sam

First Post
Grunlor

Grunlor tries to follow the group as quietly as possible. He decides that since he makes noise like bells at noontime, it might be best if he takes up a position as the rear guard. "Let me know if you want me to move up front", he whispers to the party.

Rybaer

First Post
Casar Couer De' Lion said:
Best to be sending a dwarf or two ahead and have all ye surface lovers follow with the light. Come on Bellows ye come up front with me, we'll see what kind of stones ye be havin." Nojin then grabs the wizard and begins to drag him towards the front.

Grinder vascillates between showing bull-headed dwarven courage in front of the others and plain common sense in not letting a heavily armored dwarf go scouting. Nojin has already dragged him too far down the hall, though, before he decides that scouting is a bad idea, so for the moment Grinder goes along with it.

"Right," he says to Nojin, "just let go of me or I won't be able to shoot or magick anyone very well. And please try to be quiet...or at least make yer'self sound like a goblin."

As quietly as he can manage, Grinder slowly moves down the hallway with Nojin (preferably using the other dwarf as cover). He's still hoping one of the others will propose a better idea and quickly before they get far from the entrance.

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita's back

Manzanita will check the dead goblins before entering the cave. Does the large goblin's weapons appear to be of high quality? Do they have any bags, or goodies? She then joins the others at the mouth of the cave.

"This place smells like goblins, but it's much to clean to be run by them. Humans are in charge here, I suspect. I think we should all stick together. What do the dwarves in front propose to do once they encounter goblins. With the noise they make, they're no more likely to surprise anyone than we are with a light. Come. Light your latern, Baril. Let's follow them."

Zerth

First Post
"This place smells like goblins, but it's much to clean to be run by them. Humans are in charge here, I suspect. I think we should all stick together. What do the dwarves in front propose to do once they encounter goblins. With the noise they make, they're no more likely to surprise anyone than we are with a light. Come. Light your latern, Baril. Let's follow them."

"I couldn't agree more", Baril says lighting the lantern. He then steps inside the cave with Arkan holding rapier in one hand and the lantern in other.

LazarusLong42

First Post
First, the loot

OOC: I was wondering if someone was going to check the bodies...

Arkan doesn't notice that the weapons or armor carried by either goblin are of particularly good quality, although they're of much better quality than anything she's ever seen a goblin carry. Each of them has a small purse on its belt, and the large one has an odd-shaped bandolier about its middle. Taking it off, she notices three glass, stoppered phials with a bright green liquid in them. The liquid seems to shine with a light of its own, though very faintly. Brevin, seeing them, says, "They're curative potions. Not very strong, but they'll help us in a pinch. We should spread them around, just in case."

There are also two bright red, very fragile-looking containers marked "IGNES" in the bandolier.

OOC: Welcome to a world where potions of the same type all look the same; if you've seen or made them before, you should be able to recognize them. Obviously, Brevin's seen CLW potions before. I figure the other phials ought to be obvious, but in case they're not, here's the full list of what you find:

Weapons and armor: longsword, light crossbow, two daggers, chainmail, leather armor, all small;
One small potion/phial bandolier (could probably be reworked easily to fit a medium person);
Two small belt pouches (usable by a medium person but won't hold much);
Three potions of CLW;
Two alchemists' fire;
40 gp, 50 sp.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Second, the action

Baril lights his lantern, which slowly flares up, shedding light on the corridor. The main corridor curves away to the right about eighty feet ahead, but otherwise there are no other passages than the one to the left, which is now clearly visible.

The passage to the left is about twenty feet long, and just five feet wide. At its other end, you can see the figures of at least two goblins sleeping on what appear to be bunk beds. They seem not to hear you, though you can hear their regular breathing. One of them is as beefy as the larger goblin you slew outside.

Tuli notices a pressure plate in the corridor leading to the left. It's rather crude, but it probably wouldn't have been obvious in the dark. It's difficult to say what, exactly, its intented purpose is--but it's probably not intended to be beneficial to intruders.

Shalimar

First Post
Tuli pauses as she looks at the pressure plate intently, kneeling on the ground to bring her face close to it, her tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth. "Hey guys, look at this, well, maybe not, you might trip it. Can you guys like all go back there?" she asks, gesturing vaguely to the rear, where they would be safe if whatever it was sprung.

She looks around for a rock the size of her fist, going outside if need be to find one "Does anyone have a bit of rope?" she asks of the others. If they do, and are willing to give it to her, she will use the rope to drag the rock onto the pressure switch, if not she'll toss it onto it from a few feet away.

LazarusLong42

First Post
The plate takes up most of the entrance to the left corridor, so Tuli will be unable to drag the rock onto the plate, except by throwing it over. She does, however, find a suitable rock outside, as well as some larger ones.

OOC: Are you intending to trip the plate while everyone is out of range, or are you intending to cover the plate so people don't step on it? Difficult to tell :)

Shalimar

First Post
LazarusLong42 said:
The plate takes up most of the entrance to the left corridor, so Tuli will be unable to drag the rock onto the plate, except by throwing it over. She does, however, find a suitable rock outside, as well as some larger ones.

OOC: Are you intending to trip the plate while everyone is out of range, or are you intending to cover the plate so people don't step on it? Difficult to tell :)

OOC: Trip it when everyone is out of range.

Remove ads