• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not With a Bang, I: Its Own Reward

Shalimar

First Post
Tuli moves through the Darkness behind Arkan like a cat, from one shadow to the next, doing her best to remain unseen and still move swiftly to get behind the larger goblin and plant her sword in his back.

OOC: try to get behind him and sneak attack him.

LazarusLong42

First Post
OOC: Well, he was moving closer to you... emphasis on the past tense. His boss just told him to run for help, and he's turned around and is running flat out (as of his next turn, at least). This doesn't matter, of course, because he wasn't within your charge range (he was fifty feet away).

Now, however, the big guy has charged your direction and is forty feet away (he moves sixty on a double move, which is really part of his charge action for next round.) I'll assume you try to jump him, then.

OOC: I'm not sure where the goblins go in the initiative order but I'll give this a shot...

IC:
Brevin calls on the power of Litsi and casts Expeditious Retreat on himself and will then chase after the smaller goblin. If he can get an attack, he will do so. Otherwise, he'll try to get in front of the goblin blocking his escape.

OOC: I believe Expeditious Retreat will increase Brevin's move from 20 to 30 feet per round. He will move up to x4 to keep the goblin from getting back into his lair. He will attack if he gets the chance.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Nojin, seeing the large goblin rushing at them, charges the goblin, who, seeing an opening, slashes the dwarf with his longsword, causing a gash on Nojin's leg. Nylarra rushes in just behind Nojin, rapier at the ready, but her stab bounces off the goblin's chainmail.

Baril fires an arrow at the smaller goblin; the arrow whizzes past its head as it runs toward the cave.

Arkan charges at the larger goblin, slashing with her longsword as she does so, and connecting solidly with its neck. It screams, and staggers a bit, but remains standing, tenaciously holding its longsword at the ready as blood runs down its left side.

Grinder fires a bolt at the smaller goblin, missing by several yards. You think you hear Trinket chuckling.

Brevin chants momentarily, then takes off at great speed toward the smaller goblin--overtaking it, and wheeling around, mace in hand, to block its path. Meanwhile, Grunlor looses his longbow, and, nocking an arrow, takes aim at the small goblin. The arrow sinks into its arm, and it lets out a yelp.

Tuli moves slowly into position to flank the larger goblin, but her sword's swing misses.

The smaller goblin, badly wounded, dodges to try to get around Brevin, but Brevin's speed keeps the goblin from getting around him without a quick swing of his mace. The mace connects, sending the goblin to the ground about forty feet from the cave entrance.

The larger goblin, realizing he's surrounded by foes, slashes again at Nojin, the blow this time deflected by Nojin's armor.

OOC:

Nojin is next in order, even though that means we're technically at the *end* of the round.

The large goblin is still up, though everyone around him can see he's obviously hurt badly. Nojin is currently receiving a flank bonus from Tuli.

Mechanics:

Goblin Guard: AoO attack roll 17+? = ? hit; damage roll 5+3 = 8 pts to Nojin

(The grapple attempt provoked the AoO, not the charge.)

Nylarra: attack roll 8+5+2 = 15 miss
Baril: attack roll 6+3 = 9 miss
Arkan: attack roll 19+5+2 = 26 (critical roll 11+5+2 = 18/success); damage rolls [8+4]+4 (str) +4 (fav) = 20
Grinder: attack roll 5+1 = 6 miss
Grunlor: attack roll 16+1 = 17 hit; damage roll 3
Brevin: AoO attack roll 14+2 = 16 hit; damage roll 1+2 = 3
Tuli: attack roll 11+2 (flank) = 13 miss
Small Gob: Dead. Or, at least, mostly dead. He's still breathing, but barely.
Guard: attack roll 7+? = ? miss

Notes:

Manzanita: If you hadn't specifically gotten set to charge, you wouldn't have made the critical. :) Lucky rolling, though... my poor goblin!

Toric: Rules? What rules? :) You're actually within the rules, though. Your speed increases to 50 ft/round, fast enough to overtake the small goblin without even running--though you couldn't get a regular attack. Cinematics and good use of interesting tactics, there, though, +25 XP bonus.

Nojin: I assume you took IUS as a prelude to Imp. Grapple, right? :) Also interesting tactics, +25 XP.

Rybaer: Not so much a non-gullible goblin, as one who rolled a natural 20 on his listen check. even at a -10 penalty he still heard most of you. :D

OOC: So now is when I would make my grapple attempt right and the AoO already occured I think so time for some squishing.

"Ye bloody damn thing gonna be payin for that. Time for you to be feelin me armor against your skin instead of yer sword." Jumping on the goblin Nojin attempts to squish him with his weight.

LazarusLong42

First Post
OOC: Casar: Actually... no, you've already made one grapple attempt, which drew an AoO. Another grapple attempt will draw another AoO, and since the goblin's turn has come back up in the order, he has one available.

Since the AoO may or may not draw damage, you've still got a chance at the grapple attempt... just wanted you to be aware of the circumstances before you make your decision.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Nojin slashes the goblin with the axe end of his urgrosh, connecting with the guard's neck. The guard falls, and would have screamed if he had any neck left with which to scream. Nojin has quite a bit of blood on him, though it's difficult to tell which is his, and which is the goblin's.

The clearing is suddenly quiet. A cricket chirps, but otherwise the only sound is the very ragged breathing of the smaller goblin, who is slowly dying. No further goblins are exiting the cave... for the moment.

What do you wish to do?

OOC:

End of combat.

Nojin: attack roll 18+5+2 (flank) = 25 hit; damage roll 7+6 = 13

Casar: Nojin didn't have his weapon out, so it's a move action to loose it, and then only one attack. Of course, you hit pretty well, so no big deal. :)

Remove ads