Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: So, we forgot to discuss Tarag's idea about using Protection from Evil combined with rebuking the fire elementals. Does anybody have any comments on the combination? Otherwise, he'll have prepared multiples of PfE - which he can spontaneously convert to CLWs if needed.

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: I'm sure we did that off-screen before the FF.
There is some question as to whether PfE and its equivalents hedge out neutral summoned creatures. RAW, PfE does, and the other three don't, due to some poor phrasing in their descriptions. I assume rebuking counts as an attack that ends the protection. Opinion?
Keldar will know nothing of this, of course - but when Tarag mentions rebuke/command, he will wonder aloud whether Tarag could take control of the fire elementals we know were in the furnace (though they may be in the third floor bedroom, they could perhaps be attracted back down), and use them as advance guards, while we rely more on ranged attacks.

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: it occurs to me that if PfE works as advertised, then Tarag can solo the adventure now. With a PfE up, he moves as fast as possible to the safe room door, knocks for Thyrin, slips inside, puts a PfE on him, and then they can both safely emerge and Thyrin can disable the summoning devices, and make his way outside.
On the other hand, there's obviously something screwy about the summoning devices, since the elementals appear over 20 minutes and not in 6 seconds, and stick around much longer than 1 round/level. Perhaps they're actually calling devices. Does PfE have any effect on called as opposed to summoned creatures? Won't it be fun for Tarag to find out?

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: When Tommy got to 2nd level, we had much this same conversation, starting at post #351 of this thread. Opinions were voiced on both sides of the issue; in particular Rae in his judge persona indicated that he was pretty confident PfE shouldn't apply to neutral summons such as elementals. In the end, Tommy elected not to take PfE. Your mileage may vary.

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: my opinion is that the RAI were to have the third function of PfX spells protect against all non-X summoned creatures, that by RAW PfE (and only PfE) blocks neutral ones, but that it would definitely be better if none of them did. Honestly, it's best to sidestep the whole sorry mess.

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: I was under the impression that rebuking, as a form of turning, didn't count as an attack ... but since the whole question of using PfE is moot, I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm certainly not interested in breaking the game, so let's just ignore any comments about it that I've made ... or perhaps have Tommy advise Tarag that that's a commonly held misconception about the spell. :p

Still, the thought of enlisting the lesser fire elementals is an appealing one! That part, at least, of the plan is still viable. :cool:

Let's get going!

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Found it:
SRD said:
Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks.
But I guess it won't come up.[/sblock]"Now we come to it," says Keldar softly. He's standing with a javelin in each hand, looking resolute and focused. "Tarag, do you want to go back down to the furnace room and test your authority over the elementals? I can fling open the door so you can do your thing. Do you get a sign if you're successful? I can try to close the door again before they can get out. But we'd better be ready in case I can't.

"Or should we just go upstairs? And who first? I have javelins." He seems rather proud of them. "But if we have only two more opponents, then perhaps we don't need to conserve our resources. Tommy, or Tarag, would you risk spellcasting from the front? If we leave a little space, you can cast, then move back behind whoever goes second. Perhaps me, with my javelins?"

Solange

First Post
"If it works, how many times can you repel them Tarag?" Rapture asks. "I think it might be best to have you go behind me or Galwyn and try to repel them as we enter."

Remove ads