• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag examines the door, then turns to Rapture and says, "Here, I'll apply the dagger to heat the top hinge. If you can, then insert the crowbar and try to prise the door loose at that point!"

He says to Keldar, "We might need that five pound hammer that's downstairs, Keldar. Would you mind going down to get it? And perhaps the sledgehammer, as well."

As an afterthought he adds, "Oh, and the cold chisel, too."

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar is busy preparing his welcome speech for Thyrin.

"Oh great and powerful Thyrin, are those who have rescued you worthy of reward? No, that's no good."

"Oh, great and powerful, Thyrin, are those who have rescued you, worthy of reward. Ooh, better."

"Hmm? Oh, sure. Galwynn, could you go fetch me those hammers and chisels from downstairs? Oh, and the bucket of water. I think that's in the kitchen."

Keldar looks at the door, wondering whether there's space to slip a piece of parchment beneath it. "Dammit, this could take a while. Tommy, do you have any idea where the summoning devices are? Those bowls?"

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy relaxes his concentration and sighs, rubbing his temples. "I swear, Keldar, one of these days you're going to wake up as an iguana. Anyway, the bowls certainly are magical, and their auras are more powerful than anything else in this room. They could be summoning devices, but if so they're nothing like the ones downstairs. I think we should keep an eye on them, and maybe knock them over or pour water on them if they start doing anything, but let's not disturb them unless we absolutely have to."

Trouvere

Explorer
"That would be a new experience," says Keldar. "If the bowls do start causing trouble, we can stand well back and I'll throw javelins to knock them over. We probably should have asked Sloshy to quench them before he left. Foolish."

"Saferoom spellbook. Do NOT remove," he reads. "Huh. I guess he forgot. Any spells that might be useful in this situation, Tommy? What was on the scrolls we, um, borrowed again? No door opening spells? Spells to let people walk through walls, or turn into mist?"

"Try levering from the open side of the door," he suggests. "The hinges are fused, but they still support the door's weight on the frame. If you can't get the crowbar in, maybe that magical dagger can cut a hole just big enough for it."

covaithe

Explorer
"What was on the scrolls we, um, borrowed again? No door opening spells?"

Tommy blinks, then grins. "Actually, I think there might have been, now that you mention it. Let me look..." He rummages quickly through his pack and comes up with a scroll. "If I understand these writings, this scroll has a spell specifically for opening locked or stuck doors. You, uh, might want to stand back, though. I've never actually cast a spell this powerful before."

ooc: If everyone thinks this is a good plan and steps away from the door, Tommy will cast knock from the scroll. If I understand right, since the scroll has a caster level of at least 3 (possibly more), and Tommy's caster level is currently 2, a caster level check is required, DC the scroll's caster level + 1. [sblock=caster level check]1d20+2=3 Natural 1! Somehow, this is all Keldar's fault, I just know it.
Wisdom check to prevent a mishap, DC 5: 1d20-1=8 Phew!
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Hilarious! But is a natural 1 an automatic failure?
SRD said:
To make a caster level check, roll 1d20 and add your caster level (in the relevant class). If the result equals or exceeds the DC (or the spell resistance, in the case of caster level checks made for spell resistance), the check succeeds.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Yes, the page on casting spells from a scroll is explicit:
If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.
Which doesn't really matter, since the DC is at least 4 and the roll was 3.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Then it's even more hilarious.[/sblock]"Impressive," says Keldar. "In that your voice was exceedingly firm and commanding. The door wasn't listening, though."

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Galwynn runs down the stairs, grumbling the whole time about being sent to "fetch" materials. And, of course, grumbling "Beavers Gorge? Beaver's Gorge? I mean, sure, he was apologizing, but... BEAVERSGORGE? Why do you send these trials, Halina? Have I done something to offend you!? Because if it's something I said, then I'm sorry!"

When he returns, still very grumpy, he drops the tools at Keldar's feet. "Door's still not open. Maybe you should say 'open sesame'?"

Galwynn walks back to the open spellbook, wise enough not to touch it. "Maybe there's something in here about opening the door?"

Remove ads