Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Trouvere

Explorer
"Is there room for two to push on the crowbar, Rapture?" Keldar asks. "Perhaps with this hammer we can tap it into a better position, or chip away enough of the surround to do so. Or we can weaken the hinges by heating them up, dousing them in water, then give them a quick smack of the hammer, a few times over," he suggests. "Or if the door proves too tough, we can try to smash our way through the wall, or the staircase."

Wik

First Post
Galwynn ignores Keldar for a moment, and debates touching the book that should not be touched. "Tommy, maybe you could flip through here... find a magical spell that turns metal into sand, or something..."

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy looks at the scroll in disbelief, shaken and angry at making such an elementary mistake. "It obviously said tharkazadtani... what made me say thindronizadki? If only I'd taken the time to study it carefully, slept on it perhaps... Galwynn, I'd be happy to look at the spellbook, of course, but I would not be able to prepare any of the spells until tomorrow, even if they were helpful. I'll continue looking through it and the scrolls in here, but I think Tarag and his chisels may be Thyrin's quickest way out for now."

ooc: Tommy will look through the scrolls first, and then the spellbooks, looking first for another knock spell, and then for anything else that might be helpful. Also, I didn't see it explicitly mentioned in the SRD, but I'm assuming that failing to cast the spell from the scroll uses up the scroll.

Solange

First Post
Boddynock said:
Tarag examines the door, then turns to Rapture and says, "Here, I'll apply the dagger to heat the top hinge. If you can, then insert the crowbar and try to prise the door loose at that point!"
"Good idea," Rapture says.

Rapture waits for Tarag to heat up areas and then pries at them with the crowbar to loosen them up, working her way around the door.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
As Tommy searches through the scrolls and the spellbook, Tarag, Rapture, and Keldar go to work on the door with the various tools. It proves to be very successful. Starting, as Keldar suggests, away from the hinges, they manage to loosen up the door enough that it wiggles a bit. Then, with some heating and beating of the hinges, Keldar and Rapture muster up enough strength with the crowbar to wrench the thing open, slowly. The metal creaks and moans with strain...

Through a crack in the door, you see an old man standing in rumpled, maroon robes. His white hair is frazzled and sticking up, his eyes are bloodshot, and his face is pale. He whispers, "Oh my sweet Antonidas, you are the most beautiful thing I have seen in days..." He is referring, of course, to Keldar. The old man reaches out and grabs Keldar in a tight embrace and kisses him on the cheek. "My god, man, what took you so long!" Despite his words, Thyrin is beaming.

Letting go of Keldar, Thyrin steps out into the laboratory. He looks around at the adventurers who have rescued him. "As I'm sure you already know, I am Thyrin, owner of this tower. I'm a fool, a fool, for taking that spellbook out of the saferoom! I could have been out of there in a day, but as it is I didn't even have reading material..." His eyes glaze over, remembering the incessant boredom of the safe room. "But thanks to you all, I'm out! Finally out! Right then, I'm Thyrin, and who are you all?" He shakes hands with each of you as you introduce yourselves.

covaithe

Explorer
"I'm Tommy Worthallingham, sir, graduate of the Chromatic Order. We, um, rescued some of your scrolls and spellbooks on the way through your tower, sir. And two wands." Tommy makes a small pile of magical writings containing all of the scrolls, spellbooks, and wands belonging to Thyrin that he has accumulated.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Well, that's all the introductions we have time for," says Keldar. "We have a pressing matter for your attention, Thyrin. On our most recent return to the tower, we encountered two fire elementals, one on this floor and one in the library below. We destroyed them, not without hurt to ourselves, but we have not found the summoning devices which brought them here, and we have only a few short minutes before more arrive."

Remove ads