Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: Rae, you suggested earlier that the adventure was pretty much wrapped up. Tarag would be keen to speak with Thyrin again at some stage ... but he's been away from the forge for a long time, and there are a couple of standing orders for him to pick up on.

Would it be disadvantaging the party if he stayed in Orussus and got back to work? I'm sure the others wouldn't mind picking up his items for him (hint, hint ;) ).

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag takes his reward, putting the coins into his purse and enjoying the satisfying chink of the platinum as he weighs it in his hand. Then he puts it in an inner pocket of his cloak before picking up his gear and making ready to leave.

"Many thanks, Master Arngrim. Aye, when next you need some muscle, give me a call. If I'm not too busy, I'd be happy to help you out again."

"In the meantime, if you need fine weapons or armour crafted, let me know."

Pausing to size up the man before him he adds, "Or if you want some magical items, give me a call. Tarag's Forge - on Furnace Row."

[sblock=OOC]By the way, if anybody needs more healing, Tarag will have been happy to use his spells during the day's travel to bring people back to full health.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]It's still the late evening of the day we rescued Thyrin, so no spells till the morning. But no doubt we'll pop in to say goodbye.

Does Tarag have commissions from people outside the party? Keldar has three requests, but will need to be physically present, as he can only afford the items if he donates craft points in order to pay 70% of list price (MW composite longbow for Str 14 600 420, MW rapier 320 224, MW thieves' tools toothpicks for grandma's 65th birthday 100 70). He can pay that only after receiving gems worth 150 gp from Thyrin... and if Galwynn reimburses him for at least one potion. ;) And he'll still have to sell stuff.[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
Trouvere said:
[sblock=OOC]It's still the late evening of the day we rescued Thyrin, so no spells till the morning. But no doubt we'll pop in to say goodbye.

Does Tarag have commissions from people outside the party? Keldar has three requests, but will need to be physically present, as he can only afford the items if he donates craft points in order to pay 70% of list price (MW composite longbow for Str 14 600 420, MW rapier 320 224, MW thieves' tools toothpicks for grandma's 65th birthday 100 70). He can pay that only after receiving gems worth 150 gp from Thyrin... and if Galwynn reimburses him for at least one potion. ;) And he'll still have to sell stuff.[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Oh, OK, I was mixed up about the time. :\

Tarag has a commission from another of Wik's characters (Elthic), who will, I hope, pop up again some time soon. :)

By the way, Tarag will give party members an extra 10% discount on his normal charge for crafting arms and armour - so if Keldar wants to help out (contribute craft points), it'll cost him just 60% of list price. That's 192 gp for the MW rapier. :)

Unfortunately our system is very unforgiving of failed Craft rolls - whereas the SRD description of the Craft skill says that one has to fail the Craft check by at least 5 to incur a penalty, LEW rules say that any failed Craft check wastes half the cost of the item in cash and craft points.

Since Tarag doesn't have any ranks in Craft (Bowmaking) or in Craft (Blacksmithing), we'd have to take the risk that he might fail the Craft checks on both the longbow and the lockpicks. (He only has to take 10 to create MW weapons and armour.)

Since I think you could make a convincing argument for the fact that a set of thieves tools are made of metal, he would receive his dwarven racial bonus for crafting metal items. If I were to go ahead and buy him MW artisans tools, that'd give him a total bonus (along with Int bonus and Artifice domain power) of +10. And if Keldar succeeded on an Aid Another check, that'd be a total bonus of +12. The DC for MW items is 20, so we'd have only a 60% chance of success.

The bow, not being metal or stone, would only give us a 50% chance of success.

They're not odds I'd rather play with Tarag. (My latest character, Peladus, on the other hand, would be perfectly happy to give it a go - but then, he's not hoping to be the world's greatest Smith, so his identity's not be tied up with the outcome! :p )

In brief, Tarag will happily make Keldar's rapier (and has already come up with a design) but he'd rather not attempt to craft the other items unless Keldar really insists. In that case, since they're taking his time and his stock in trade (craft points), he'll insist that Keldar make up the gp shortfall for any failures (and if I can think of a way to justify a CP debt in game, he'd look for those extra craft points as well!)[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
[sblock=Trouvere/shameless plug]One of my characters has a shop in town, and she can make a masterwork bow like you ask. If you can get her to do it at that price, well, that's a different story. Check out Juliana's shop.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: oh, right. Craft (bowmaking) is a separate skill from (weaponsmithing). Darn. Does Keldar dare turn his boundless charm to the aim of sweetalking Juliana? Hmmmm. Factoring in medical bills, it might be cheaper to go with a couple of failed crafting rolls with Tarag.

Solange

First Post
Rapture smiles, "Thank you m'lord. You are most generous."

Rapture returns with the others to pick up her items and repay what she owes Thyrin (296 gp), and then makes her way to the Inn.

Solange

First Post
[sblock=Boddynock]So if Rapture helps you with craft points, she could get something at 60% of cost?

So if she wanted a Masterwork Breastplate, it would run her 240?

Darn, still too expensive. I'll hold off.[/sblock]

Remove ads