Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Very good. Thyrin will have other work for you throughout the week. We will fund your staying at the inn in Grenton. Tommy, if you so desire, Thyrin has extended a special invitation to you. The guest room is open, as is Thyrin's library, for your own personal research in the evenings. All of you, do what you can, and come back to the tower often, I will assign other jobs as Thyrin needs them done."

OOC: Let's treat this as pseudo-downtime. You'll be doing odd jobs for Thyrin, Tommy helping organize the library, Galwynn and Rapture for an extra hand and heavy lifting, Keldar working on traps, and all of you investigating the bandits. No need to hash out the details except the investigating, so let's go ahead with that.

Gather Information checks, please, and plans for what you'll be doing to investigate.

[sblock=Tommy: ]All those spells are fine. You either find them on scrolls or in one of Thyrin's spellbooks, and Thyrin is happy to let you use up the scrolls for the sake of learning. Assume that by the end of the week, you've copied everything over in your free time in the evenings.

No need to accept Thyrin's invitation to sleep in the guest room, if Tommy would rather sleep at the inn with the others. I leave it up to Tommy to decide that completely IC, it won't affect his rate of spell copying.[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Trouvere said:
"Does Thyrin ever give you a day off, Cassandra?" Keldar asks. "Or the chance to visit friends and family back on the plane of lightning? Just wondering."

"Pay attention, Freckles. We're going to investigate the attempted robbery that brought us here in the first place. Eyes and ears open, a few discreet questions to the right people. Someone always knows something. I don't suppose the dead men left behind anything more than ashes?"
"As Thyrin's familiar, I never desire a day off. When he works, I work, and when he rests, I rest. I don't tire. And the elemental planes are not like the material planes. We do not die, not like humanoids anyway. We're quite used to being summoned away for indeterminate periods of time, and I'm happy to serve Thyrin in whatever capacity I'm able to.

"As for the bandits, no, unfortunately the guardians burned them pretty ferociously. You saw all that was left of them upstairs. It's not much."

Wik

First Post
Gather Information Check (1d20+3=15)

Galwynn spends much of his time helping people out however he can. He's also looking for things he can do to improve this town - he does, after all, have a rather large chunk of money sitting around, and he wouldn't mind spending 100 GP or so to add something nice to the place.

While he's doing little things like helping people with their farming, assisting that priest of Halina he met earlier, and maybe even running through some "basic self defence" classes for the young men and women, he'll be asking around about any "unfamiliar faces" that may have shown up in Grenton over the past while - and where they seemed to come from. He'll also ask travellers, scouts, and rangers that he may encounter if there are any unusual camps near town. And, finally, he'll try to see what the general opinion is of Thyrin, particularly the levelk of treasure that can be found within his tower (to see if the Bandits were maybe just motivated by greed).

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar spends the first part of the afternoon helping reset Thyrin's traps against his better judgement, before wandering into town. At the inn, he chats with the landlady, first asking whether the townsfolk who gave him copper coins had received their crowns in return.

"The Red Dragon in Orussus is a fine tavern, of course, but I think I prefer your establishment. I like a more varied crowd. The Dragon is always full of boastful arrogant adventuring types. Shady ne'er-do-wells, mostly. It's nice to have regular locals whom everyone knows, I suppose? Do you get many strangers like me and my friends? I suppose most people travelling from Orussus just pass straight through on their way to Allimon without stopping for the night. They don't know what they're missing. I'm going to mention this place wherever I go."

Occasionally he rests his tongue for long enough for the landlady to reply.

OOC: Gather Information 1d20+3=17

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy will pull Keldar aside at some point in the afternoon and ask, "Keldar, I'd kind of like to take Thyrin up on his offer of the library and the spare room, but... well, do you think it's safe? I'd hate to find myself turned into a rabbit because Thyrin forgot to mention that he has a trap on his signed collection of Barry Lakeward editions."

Trouvere

Explorer
"Oh, you won't get turned into a rabbit. If anything bad happens, it will be much more ordinary," Keldar answers Tommy. "I'll tell you what: if you don't want to ask him straight out, I'll give the spare room the once-over with my usual attention to detail, so you can sleep soundly. I'll check the bed for poison needles in the pillows and darts in the posts and a spear in the floor that'll come right up through the mattress to skewer you, and a device that could lower the canopy to smother you as you sleep, and I'll check a straight line to the door for pressure plates and pit traps. I'll search the wardrobe for a false back. Don't ever look at your own reflection in the mirror after dark! But I don't think you need to worry. Just keep away from his summoning devices. Beyond that, well, it's a big tower. Try to walk behind him exactly where he steps. No need to worry. Anyway, when I'm in town, there'll be plenty of chance for me to buy some carrots or radishes. Which do you think you'd prefer?"

Keldar wanders off, muttering under his breath about Lakeward who "sells so badly he only covers his scribing costs" and "that hack Birchwald."

covaithe

Explorer
"Thanks, Keldar. Thanks a lot," Tommy says sarcastically. I know you're playing one of your silly pranks, and yet I also know I won't sleep a wink if I stay here tonight. You're buying drinks tonight, I take it?"

Remove ads