Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

covaithe

Explorer
OOC: Working on Tommy's level, I could use a judges' ruling on a spell effect. In the SRD, the description for the Sor/Wiz 1 spell Protection from Evil says, "the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect." However, Protection from Chaos says "This spell functions like protection from evil, except that ... chaotic summoned creatures cannot touch the subject." The question is, does protection from evil prevent neutral summoned creatures, such as, say, earth and fire elementals, from touching the subject? From the text of PfE, I'd say yes, but from the text of PfC, I'd say no. Help?

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: this has been asked before. I read that thread twice, and it still didn't help. I think in general people treat Prot. from Evil as being slightly superior to the other three, because Good is Stupid and needs all the help it can get.

EternalSword

First Post
I personnaly think that is a mistake, but barring judge intervention, that is the way it will run. Just remember that only applies to summoned creatures.

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar holds his morning star in his left hand and a dagger in his right. "Hmm," he says, and lays low an imaginary opponent with a flurry with both weapons. Then he takes a few steps and launches into a series of twisting flips that carry him for 15 feet. "Oddly impressive, huh, Rapture?" he says.

Solange

First Post
covaithe said:
OOC: Working on Tommy's level, I could use a judges' ruling on a spell effect. In the SRD, the description for the Sor/Wiz 1 spell Protection from Evil says, "the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect." However, Protection from Chaos says "This spell functions like protection from evil, except that ... chaotic summoned creatures cannot touch the subject." The question is, does protection from evil prevent neutral summoned creatures, such as, say, earth and fire elementals, from touching the subject? From the text of PfE, I'd say yes, but from the text of PfC, I'd say no. Help?
OOC: It only protects from summoned creatures of that alignment, as supposedly those are more tied to a primal planar type of that alignment. It's particularly effective to neutralize celestial or fiendish summons. True Neutral summons are immune to any of the effects.

Solange

First Post
Trouvere said:
Keldar holds his morning star in his left hand and a dagger in his right. "Hmm," he says, and lays low an imaginary opponent with a flurry with both weapons. Then he takes a few steps and launches into a series of twisting flips that carry him for 15 feet. "Oddly impressive, huh, Rapture?" he says.
Rapture, preoccupied in though, nods nonchalantly.

Trouvere

Explorer
"I sing songs, too," says Keldar, sitting down cross-legged. "Well, this is nice." He's silent for a while. "It'll probably be a mistake," he says, "but maybe we should wake up Grumblin' Bridesmaid, or whatever his name is. And can we wake the mage, or will that scramble his brains for the day? He was certainly busy with his book last night."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[Sblock=To DM: ]I agree with Solange. The spell is clearly intended to protect from evil, not neutral nor good. If the elementals are evil summons, then it works against them. If they're neutral, it doesn't. That's rules-as-intended, I'm quite positive. You may take or leave my advice, however. [/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"I've been thinking tactics, Rapture," says Keldar suddenly. "Suppose this shiny pebble is me. And this beautiful little flower is you. And this rabbit dropping is Galwynn. What if we put you and the rabbit dropping here, 10 feet apart, with me a little way behind you both, in a triangle, like so. I shoot an arrow at the elemental, then quickly draw my morning star and a dagger. They're not too smart. It rushes for me, and you both hit it as it tries to get past. And if it's still not dead, and it doesn't knock me off my feet, at least we'll have it surrounded and hemmed in."

Solange

First Post
"Assuming they're stupid enough to fall for that, it might work," Rapture says. "It's dangerous to assume that your opponent is stupid though."

Remove ads