NWN2 - Tragedy in Tragidor Released

Kaodi

Hero
I don't much care about multiplayer. It's just physically painful to download huge files on a dial-up connection, and a crappy 28.8k one at that. ( Yeah, apparently, because of some strange telephone company mojo, we can't even get a 56.6k connection where I live. I can imagine that I would enjoy the internet much more even if I were just running at twice the speed. )

Mycanid

First Post
By the by Steel Wind, sorry for the OT question, but what in the world id your avatar? At first I thought it was a Roper, but now I am not sure.... :\

Steel_Wind

Legend
Mycanid said:
By the by Steel Wind, sorry for the OT question, but what in the world id your avatar? At first I thought it was a Roper, but now I am not sure.... :\

It's an original pencil sketch of Lord Soth, holding a black rose. One of the artists at DLA did it....oh...about four years ago or so and I adopted it as my avatar for use on a number of RPG forums.

The fact you have to ask though indicates to me it's time for a new avatar. :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
Kaodi said:
I don't much care about multiplayer. It's just physically painful to download huge files on a dial-up connection, and a crappy 28.8k one at that. ( Yeah, apparently, because of some strange telephone company mojo, we can't even get a 56.6k connection where I live. I can imagine that I would enjoy the internet much more even if I were just running at twice the speed. )

No argument.

I would expect that the file size for most NWN2 mods will be in the 100, spiking to 200 meg range for some.

The great increase in file size is a function of the free-formed external area design in NWN2. All that height mapped terrain and freedom to not use tiles comes at a price. The price is consderable system resources, significant memory requirements per module for any server to run it - and a vastly larger overall file size.

On the plus side, all the squawking about "large hak files" that was present during NWN1 is probably a thing of the past in NWN2. If the module is 150 megs, who cares if the hak adds another 20 or 40? It's pretty much in for a penny - in for a pound at that point. And as you know first -hand - on a practical basis, accommodating dial-up users is no longer a real prqactical consideration for NWN2 module authors.

In terms of dealing with such large file sizes and 28.8, you might look into a download manager with download resume as a low tech means of coping.

My only other suggestion is to look into a satellite ISP provider. It's poor upstream speed - but the downstream speed is vastly higher than what you have now.

A complaint to the CRTC about poor service and unavailability of proper data transmission over POTS - not to mention lack of ADSL - couldn't hurt. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You'd be surprised at the value of such letters in the Commission's file when it comes tim for license renewal. Bitching at your MP about the same issue rarely hurts either.

Where in Canada are you located?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Steel_Wind said:
No can patch? What's the problem? Anything I can do to help?

I doubt it! Atari can't (won't) help, so I don't fancy your chances. It's a problem a lot of peole have - when trying to patch, we get "invalid file", "corrupted file" or "checksum" errors and the patching process aborts.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Kaodi said:

Just be happy you are getting 28.8k! I'm stuck on dial-up and I'm lucky to get 26.4k. About half the time I get that, half the time 24k

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Satellite? Or is that too expensive?

It's getting cheaper, but it's still pretty expensive. Hughes.net is $500 for the equipment (supposedly a $100 mail in rebate should make it $100, but I never get mail in rebates back), then $60 a month.

There's a newer one, Wild Blue, that is somewhat cheaper - $300 for the equipment, $50 a month, but they apparently aren't available in my area (according to their zip code lookup). Which seems to defeat the whole point of Satellite internet)

Mycanid

First Post
trancejeremy said:
It's getting cheaper, but it's still pretty expensive. Hughes.net is $500 for the equipment (supposedly a $100 mail in rebate should make it $100, but I never get mail in rebates back), then $60 a month.

There's a newer one, Wild Blue, that is somewhat cheaper - $300 for the equipment, $50 a month, but they apparently aren't available in my area (according to their zip code lookup). Which seems to defeat the whole point of Satellite internet)

Very true. Forgot about the initial setup price! ;) Yes ... that can be rather steep. But if you already have satellite TV the extra price for the internet is very minimal by comparison. Many people really like DirecTV for their "cable options", and if they have no other options in their area it is not a bad way to go.... :\

Six to one, half dozen to another I guess....

Remove ads