O.G.R.E: Online Generic Randomizer Engine

PaleMage

Explorer
RED ALERT: Code Interpreter Bug Found

RED ALERT: Code Interpreter Bug Found

I know, I should be probably the ONLY one experimenting this behaviour, due to the arcane tasks I ask O.G.R.E. to perform for me, but try to follow me.

If You try to concatenate any $variables of type STRING (TEXT for the less techy), and the resulting word is LONGER than 50 chars, it ends broken at char 51 by a SPACE, then follows from char 52 with the remaining TEXT.

I wonder that the 50 char lenght is a limit set by the developer in charge of coding O.G.R.E., but it should have to be extended to the usual 255 chars, at least.

I need UNINTERRUPTED output, because I'm coding CODE and TAGS out of O.G.R.E. for PCGen 6.00.0, and I cannot manage random breaks at 50th char, cause PCgen doesn't support any breaks nested to TAGS: this simply breaks the PCgen code.

I'll explain my problem with an example:

I am randomly generating things out of O.G.R.E. tables, and I get sequences of TAGS, stored in TEXT $variables, used in PGgen to define objects class inclusions.

A Dragon, to be recognized as itself, has to be TYPE:Dragon.Magic.Breath...

A Weapon, to be one of its kind, should be (i.e.) TYPE:Bludgeoning.OneHanded.Finessable.Steel.Magic...

A Tome (MY CASE) could be TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Advanced.ThePlanes.TransitivePlanes.EtherealPlane (far longer than 50 chars), and may contain a section ALSO about another topic, ending in addition of other TAGS like Expert.Arcana.Dragons.ChromaticDragons

The resulting tome HAS to declare ALL the Types it has relations to, then it becomes of TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Advanced.ThePlanes.TransitivePlanes.EtherealPlane.Expert.Arcana.Dragons.ChromaticDragons

All the differently coloured TAGS comes from a different part of my code, and I have no control over the lenght of the TEXT that will describe my object at the end of the processing.

I'm sure it will not exceed 255 chars, but for sure goes far over the 50th char BUILT IN limitation set by the developer of O.G.R.E. as a the maximum uninterruptable sequence of chars.

What I get currently is:
TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Advanced.ThePlanes.T ransitivePlanes.EtherealPlane.Expert.Arcana.Dragons.ChromaticDragons

where the BOLD part is an UNINTERRUPTED sequence of chars up to the 50th, then a SPACE, followed by the remaining part of the TEXT.

HOPE there will be a solution to this, since this was the last part of my project of coding a random Library Generator, by subject, cost and rarity, PRE-CODED (just a Copy-and-Paste-away) to be used by PCgen.

I let You see what you can get as a result... for my campaign has been a boost in RPG off-adventure.

# CVS $Revision: 0001 $ $Author: PaleMage $ -- Sat Oct 10 13:00:00 2013 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.38 (build 5869)
SOURCELONG:Marvelous Nightingale SOURCESHORT:TRGMN

Blue Nymph Bookstore (The Touring through Timescape Book) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] COST:30 EQMOD:UNREAD_LIT|CHARGES[1] BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (The Planes)|1|TYPE=Competence SPROP:Knowledge (The Planes) +1 BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (The Planes)|0|TYPE=Competence SPROP:Knowledge (The Planes) +0 SPROP:The cover of this slim compilation is burnished with silver. TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Elementary.ThePlanes.PaleMage.GKL SOURCEPAGE:paleMage_GKL

Blue Nymph Bookstore (Daniel Bell the Draconic's Forlorn Palimpsest) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] COST:50 EQMOD:UNREAD_LIT|CHARGES[1] BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (The Planes)|2|TYPE=Competence SPROP:Knowledge (The Planes) +2 SPROP:The pages of this bejewelled folio are lined with lavender octogons. TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Elementary.ThePlanes.PaleMage.GKL SOURCEPAGE:paleMage_GKL

Blue Nymph Bookstore (The Noxious Coinage Guide) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] COST:20 EQMOD:UNREAD_LIT|CHARGES[1] BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (The Planes)|1|TYPE=Competence SPROP:Knowledge (The Planes) +1 SPROP:This embossed book is Volume 6 of a 12-part set. TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Elementary.ThePlanes.PaleMage.GKL SOURCEPAGE:paleMage_GKL

Blue Nymph Bookstore (An Expedition to The Villainous Sea of Bones by Mirduil the White) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] COST:20 EQMOD:UNREAD_LIT|CHARGES[1] BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (The Planes)|1|TYPE=Competence SPROP:Knowledge (The Planes) +1 SPROP:Adamantium rivets punctuate the cover of this handwritten violet codex. TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Elementary.ThePlanes.PaleMage.GKL SOURCEPAGE:paleMage_GKL

Blue Nymph Bookstore (The Gargantuan Book of Timescape) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] COST:6500 EQMOD:UNREAD_LIT|CHARGES[1] BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Plane of Shadow)|5|TYPE=Competence SPROP:Knowledge (Plane of Shadow) +5 SPROP:The title of this bejewelled charcoal compilation is emblazoned in silver. TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Expert.TransitivePlanes.PlaneofShadow.PaleMage.GKL SOURCEPAGE:paleMage_GKL

Blue Nymph Bookstore (The
Pandemonium Encyclopedia) OUTPUTNAME:[NAME] COST:500 EQMOD:UNREAD_LIT|CHARGES[1] BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Pandemonium)|1|TYPE=Competence SPROP:Knowledge (Pandemonium) +1 SPROP:The pages of this well-preserved creed are lined with turqoise circles. TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Advanced.MildlyAligned.Pandemonium.PaleMage.GKL SOURCEPAGE:paleMage_GKL

EVERYTHING YOU SEE CAME OUT OF O.G.R.E.... only the post-formatting is hand made, but is matter of an easy Find-Replace procedure.

This is only a brief example of what you can get from it... I only need to fix this bug, that appeared only after I tried to concatenate more than 50 chars in a single string.

NOTE: If You can address me directly to the developer I can drive him to test it by itself, having him see the code of the generator, if necessary.

TY in advance

PaleMage aka
Fabio Montanari
Modena IT

PaleMage

Explorer
AAAAAAARGGHHHH....

I just seen the problem isn't of O.G.R.E. origin...

If you look at my POST you see also the examples I made BROKEN at 50th char.

The PROBLEM is the Content Management System that runs ENWorld... it has, somewhere, don't ask me where (I'm a poor gamer and programmer) a field where you set the maximum lenght of things.

PLEASE: look for that place and fix it to 255 chars... it currently has FOR SURE a fat 50 in place.

PLEASE, Please, please...

PaleMage

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Test.

TYPE:Goods.Literature.Scholar.Advanced.ThePlanes.TransitivePlanes.EtherealPlane.Expert.Arcana.Dragons.ChromaticDragons

[Edit; so it does. How odd!]

PaleMage

Explorer
AAAAAAARGGHHHH....

I just seen the problem isn't of O.G.R.E. origin...

If you look at my POST you see also the examples I made BROKEN at 50th char.

The PROBLEM is the Content Management System that runs ENWorld... it has, somewhere, don't ask me where (I'm a poor gamer and programmer) a field where you set the maximum lenght of things.

PLEASE: look for that place and fix it to 255 chars... it currently has FOR SURE a fat 50 in place.

PLEASE, Please, please...

PaleMage

OK I arranged another workaround to avoid this annoying 50 chars limitation... but please, take a look if it can be solved.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Meta-OGRE problem: it's hard to find. The discussion thread is in the General RPG forum, the forum link leads to the hub (which isn't a forum), and under the Resources drop-down menu it isn't called Online Generic Randomizer Engine, just Random Generators.

Which, I'm afraid, might be discouraging people from using it.

Which leads to my other problem (really just a complaint): I can't find a Random Dungeon Generator or Random Adventure Generator! This is based off a search for "dungeon" and "adventure" in the title. What's the OGRE for, if not making random dungeons or adventures!? I'll write one, if I must. But I'm already up to my neck in writing projects...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which leads to my other problem (really just a complaint): I can't find a Random Dungeon Generator or Random Adventure Generator! This is based off a search for "dungeon" and "adventure" in the title. What's the OGRE for, if not making random dungeons or adventures!? I'll write one, if I must. But I'm already up to my neck in writing projects...

No, I don't think anyone's made one of those yet!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
From the Full Search Page, if more than one page of results occur, the site fails to keep the same filter when loading subsequent pages.

This occurred while searching Tables for keyword "treasure."

PS: I got one of these for clicking on the "My Tables" tab in Create:
Fatal error: Cannot use object of type mysqli_result as array in /var/www/virtual/enworld/forum/dnd_my_tables.php on line 59

Last edited:

Remove ads