• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

O.G.R.E: Online Generic Randomizer Engine

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It can. Was that not the very feature you asked for months ago, which I had coded for you?

Err...I thought it was the reverse but let me see.

"The format for changing the roll output is as follows: {username(tablename)[replacedroll]|capscontrol}"

Yeah that seems to be a generator calling to a table. But I need the table to call to a generator, since it's the generator that has the user variable.

The next example is
"{$x:7}
{admin(cave_monster)[$x]} which would always give the result of $x, which in this case is 7."

Hmm, maybe that is a table calling to a generator's user input? Unclear to me.

So let me give you an example, and you tell me how it should read.

The generator, named "Pouch Treasure Generator", asks for "Level" which is a number from 1-20 that the user selects, as your sample post above.

The table is rolling 1d20+$Level ($Level coming from the generator).

I tried this in the table:
1d20+{Mistwell[Pouch Treasure Generator][$Level]}

And it gave me this error:

"The roll you currently have is invalid. A roll must contain the number of dice followed by a D then the number of sides each die has, eg '2D4' or '4D12'"

So what is wrong with my formatting on that?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's in the call. The call overrides the roll entry in the table. I'm on my phone so it's hard to demonstrate, but yeah, it does what you want it to do but you're doing it wrong. Sharon's planted herself on Facebook on the PC though, so I don't think I'll be getting on it anytime soon..

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Or {$var: {1d20+$level}} followed by:

You see a {admin(cave_monster)[$var]}.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, got on the PC.

You need your generator to call the table like this:

{$x: {1d20+$Level}}
{Mistwell[tablename][$x]}

So it will go to the table called tablename and return the item corresponding to $x.

Mistwell

OK, got on the PC.

You need your generator to call the table like this:

{$x: {1d20+$Level}}
{Mistwell[tablename][$x]}

So it will go to the table called tablename and return the item corresponding to $x.

Again, I am asking for the reverse.

I do not want the generator to call the table.

I want the table to call the generator.

The user-selection is in the generator, and I need the table to make use of the user-selection.

Unless you're saying I have to remove the random variable entirely from the table, use the generator to generate that entirely, and just apply options in a table? If that is the case...I don't know what I'd put in the "roll" part of the table. But wait, earlier you said "The call overrides the roll entry in the table". Ah, so that IS what you're saying. Damn, that is kludgey, but I will give it a try. Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am afraid I don't understand your response.

I guess you've discovered my dark secret - I'm not good at writing technical instruction manuals!

I'll try to think of another way to explain it, but my brain's drawing a blank right now.

Mistwell

OK, I think I got it now. My generator seems to be working, and this is the code I used:

The pouch contains {Mistwell(PouchCommonCoins)[{1d20+$Level}]} and {Mistwell(PouchRareCoins)[{1d20+$Level}]} and {Mistwell(PouchGemsArt)[{1d20+$Level}]} and {Mistwell(PouchMagicItems)[{1d20+$Level}]}.

I still need new tables for nested results, which are found with Gems and Art, and Magic Items, but I think I already proved that's doable, so it just takes me entering some more tables and calling those tables from the main tables. Cool, this is going to be very useful. Thanks Morrus!

Mistwell

OK, the D&D Next Beta Test Random Treasure Generator is complete!

The only thing missing at this point is I didn't add all the details of the various kinds of art object you can find (I will get to that). This does not harm any functionality, as it still includes the art in the generators, it will just say "3 Decorative Art valued at 52 gold pieces each" instead of "A Silver Ewer valued at 50 gold pieces, a carved bone statuette worth 56 gold pieces, and a cloth-of-gold vestments work 49 gold pieces".

Other than that, it's all in there. And let me tell you, this was way more work than I expected. For example, every single spell in the game needed to be entered in the data behind the scenes, so it could generate random scrolls (every weapon type, and every armor type, too). And unlike the art, I did enter all the descriptive data for gemstones, so it will tell you if they are brown-green garnets or golden yellow topaz instead of just "2 semiprecious gems valued at 50 gold pieces each".

Also, in the process of doing this I found there are definitely some gaps in the treasure information that the developers hadn't gotten to yet for the beta test. As explained above for example, they hadn't gotten to enough common potions.

Anyway, you can now choose the encounter level (1-20) and the treasure type (pouch, chest, or hoard) and it will draw from the appropriate table and adjust based on the level you selected.

I am very please with this, and I hope others get some use out of it as well, and tell others it exists. I know I have many months of using the playtest rules until the final rules come out, and this will come in handy for my group when someone says "What's in the pouch on the gnoll I just killed?" Now I can just click a button and tell them, and then cut and paste it to keep track for later.

You can find it here:

D&D Next Random Treasure Generator

Last edited:

Remove ads