[occ] Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Shayuri

First Post
I like it. The complexity it adds is in an area where I've long felt D&D could use some attention; noncombat 'encounters.'

Shay wasn't so much trying to get leverage to move the rock as create a safeguard...the idea being that you get some obstacles under the rock...that means the rock is crushing that obstacle, and not the person.

I guess since you have to move the rock to do that though...kind of splitting hairs. Hee hee. Nevermind, nothing to see here. :)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Every once in a while those monkey wrenches even benefit the party. . . But usually they end up not being so great for us :p.

So in this case the skill test actually took place, but Medjai's roll just happened to be good enough the first time to get a total success. I did post that he waited for Shayuri to give him the go ahead :)

Space_Titanium

First Post
I think that the new skill challenge is a much more fitting and robust system for dealing with events. The complications feel a little weird to me, but it's a better solution than "Everybody has to make Stealth checks that will all automatically fail but of the fighter's giant armor".

81Dagon

Explorer
I like it. The complexity it adds is in an area where I've long felt D&D could use some attention; noncombat 'encounters.'

Shay wasn't so much trying to get leverage to move the rock as create a safeguard...the idea being that you get some obstacles under the rock...that means the rock is crushing that obstacle, and not the person.

I guess since you have to move the rock to do that though...kind of splitting hairs. Hee hee. Nevermind, nothing to see here. :)
Or that could let you pull him out from underneath it... as long as it works, it works.

Every once in a while those monkey wrenches even benefit the party. . . But usually they end up not being so great for us :p.

So in this case the skill test actually took place, but Medjai's roll just happened to be good enough the first time to get a total success. I did post that he waited for Shayuri to give him the go ahead :)
Bingo. The biggest difference from the original skill challenges that WotC came up with is that it only take one success to pass the challenge, and it doesn't matter how you get there. That makes the challenge much quicker and keeps the pace up. Now, it is possible to have extended challenges that have multiple part, such as a chase scene, a manhunt for a crime boss, or international negotiations... but these can still be bypassed by really good initial rolls.

I think that the new skill challenge is a much more fitting and robust system for dealing with events. The complications feel a little weird to me, but it's a better solution than "Everybody has to make Stealth checks that will all automatically fail but of the fighter's giant armor".
Think of them as aid another checks. If you pass, you pass. If you fail, you at least make the situation a little better. Its assuming that the PCs will be successful, its just a question of how successful.

Space_Titanium

First Post
No, I see how the challenges work, and it is a good solution to a problem with the normal skill system:

DM: "You see runes adorning the dais in front of you."
Player 1: "I use Knowledge (arcana) to identify the runes." [Rolls an 11]
Player 2: "I'll aid the check." [Rolls a 19]
DM: "So with the aid that's a total of 13, right? You're unable to identify the runes."

It's come up a couple of times in game sessions and it bothers me that, as written, the subsequent rolls can only improve the original instead of standing on their own if they're better. Being more flexible with the way to accomplish a skill DC seems to be a common house rule, but I don't see the necessity of further increasing the DC/challenge (as according to this proposed system) as a reward for the creativity of the players. That said, I think it IS good at increasing the tension of a given situation, which I'm satisfied with.

Shayuri

First Post
Regarding the bridge...Shay's not suggesting a work of architecture here. She's basically saying, 'if we can find something long enough, lets put it over the chasm and try to walk over.'

So really, the question is: Is anything around big enough (but not so big we can't move it), and is it strong enough to support one person's weight?

First question is fairly straightforward. Second...is iffier, and would probably benefit from a skill check that Shayuri doesn't have trained. :)

Remove ads