[occ] Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Shayuri

First Post
Three weeks?!

But...but...we're so close!

Well. If it's 3 weeks away, I can't taste it yet after all. It must be something I burped up from breakfast.

*rubs belly*

jackslate45

First Post
I'M NOT DEAD YET!

Sorry, I started DMing, and then I realized how much I wasn't prepared for it :(. I've re-added this to my subscriptions so Luna is back.

Leif

Adventurer
Hey, Jack (Snake*), I heered you was dead.

:)

And, Shay, it was my belief that levels were supposed to taste like ... ... ... VICTORY. Or Napalm, I always get those two mixed up.

* this is a reference to Snake Pliskin (played by Kurt Russell) in the movie "Escape From New York," because every time he meets someone that he knows, they always say, "Snake, I heard you were dead."

Last edited:

81Dagon

Explorer
Hey, Jack! I heered you was dead.

:)

And, Shay, it was my belief that levels were supposed to taste like ... ... ... VICTORY. Or Napalm, I always get those two mixed up.
Bat guano?
:p

Also, I'm seriously having to avoid just having conversations with myself. So many NPCs!

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
If you use a different color for the speech of each NPC, your 'talking to yourself' posts will start to look like fruit loops.

81Dagon

Explorer
Okay, here is (roughly) what I was going to post when Mowgli preempted me by blowing the challenge out of the water. Sorry about the length, but please bear with me and read it.

I don’t know if anyone else took a look at the skill challenges handbook, however I quite liked what I saw and would like to incorporate it.

As opposed to presenting every non-combat roll as a single skill check, I'd like to try portraying them as skill challenges. The idea is to try and create some role playing opportunities while not locking anyone out of a particular skill check because they don't have a certain skill.

For example, while I asked for a strength check to lift the boulder, Shayuri’s plan to use rocks for leverage to move the boulder off of Crel could have been used instead by making a knowledge (engineering) check. Tasks that couldn’t have moved the boulder, but could have helped, like using heal to prevent Crel’s ribs from breaking could be used

Each challenge will have degrees of success and failure. You may not succeed at everything completely, but you should be able to to succeed enough to keep things moving.

For example, had Mowgli rolled a 17 instead of 23, he may have been able to move the boulder, but not before Crell took a lot of damage. In this case, I would have informed you that you achieved a partial success. This would have left the group with the option of taking the partial success or attempting to achieve a complete success.

Finally, you'll get opportunities to improve your success. I call these complication tasks. If the random dice god does not go your way, I'll give the opportunity to make another roll, although that opportunity would come at some sort of a cost that could complicate things down the road. I’ll give you a variety of actions that you can pick from, although you are always free to make up your own action or decide you’ve done well enough. Each time you make another roll, you gain a cumulative +2 bonus. Most of the time I will take the highest results, but sometimes it will be the most recent. I will let you know which it is whenever we have a challenge.

Continuing the above example, Medjai’s 17 wasn’t enough to move the rock, but Shayuri can still try to combine that will her lever idea, although it will take some time, so Crel will take a little damage. She makes the roll with a +2 bonus, but unfortunately, the result of that roll was only an 13, which is worse than the original and the rock she finds doesn’t create enough leverage. It does, however, add a +2 to the original result, so Crel doesn’t take damage for nothing, bring the current total to 19. Luna then steps in with a prayer, asking for her friends to be granted the strength to save an innocent. Because this is the second complication, she gains a +4 bonus, and rolls a 27! Her prayers help motivate her allies, and they get the rock moved... although it wakens a very irate bat swarm on the roof, which attacks!

As we’ve seen already, once you hit the required DC, you achieve a success and the challenge is over. If you manage it on the first roll, that one’s done and over with right away!

I know that was a giant wall of text and that this does add a lot of complexity to the game... but I also feel like it allows for more creative storytelling and a slightly more freeform/interactive experience, which I have found to be a huge positive in PbP games in the past. I want to encourage people to problem solve and try some cinematic scenes.

What do you guys think? Did my ramblings make sense? Can we give it a shot?

Leif

Adventurer
Sounds like a good idea to me 81D. I look forward to seeing it in action.

BTW, Mowgs has a long and illustrious history of flinging monkey-wrenches into the plans of his DMs/GMs. :)

Remove ads