[October]What are you reading?

Dwimmerlied

First Post
I think I'll only go as deep as the main series ey. I find the tortured soul stuff reads like teenage angst and I find it hard to care about the protagonist because of it. I cringe at the moments of self doubt and insecurity. I don't know if that's because it's not well done or I'm not a good audience for it.

Last edited:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
For me it was the start of him going downhill... umm literary wise. He was making money with his books and conferences at that time. So he was always drunk and didn't need to get out of the house much. It affected his writing. Women is still good, but not has punchy has Post Office or Factotum.

I can see that. Something of his charm stems from his having to scramble to get by - and not caring enough to really scramble to get by. Now that he's made it there's less for him to do and less for him to avoid doing.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Which bits of Elric are you reading? I ask, because Moorcock actually wrote the end of the story first, and then went back and wrote a whole bunch of prequels.

I've read those first two anthologies, "Stormbringer" and "Stealer of Souls" - the two cited in Appendix N, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I avoided the prequels, both because I'd heard bad things about them, and also because, well, prequels suck.
An anthology called the Elric Cycle. Stormbringer is in it.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I find it disappears. What becomes worthy after is his poetry. "Today I woke up. Took a dump and picked up the mail. Drank a fifth and went back to sleep."

Remove ads