[October]What are you reading?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I finished Women. It was ok. I'm back to Iain Banks for now with Song of Stone. Not that far into it but it does seem interesting. Oh, I also forgot to order Palahniuk's new one ... again. Dammit.

Nellisir

Hero
I read The Little Sister, The Boy in the Suitcase, and The Bards of Bone Plain over the weekend. Talk about a mixed bag.
Raymond Chandler gets five stars, straight up. I would read his grocery list.

The Boy in the Suitcase, which is another Scandinavian thriller (Denmark this time), gets 3.5 stars. It's good, and there are a few twists, but I think the protagonist (and her husband) should have been developed sooner. She really comes off as a complete kook for 9/10ths of the book, and it's completely unclear until the end what her husband sees in her. It's still not clear if she's actually bipolar, or just has A Really Big Trauma In Her Past that screws her up. Possibly both.

The Bards of Bone Plain gets 2.5 stars. I hate to rate McKillip so low, but this was pretty much phoned in. The characters are thin, the plot is unclear, and frankly I'm not totally certain what happened at the end.

Crothian

First Post
Raymond Chandler is great. I made a point of reading everything of his I could find a few years ago. It was a good decision.

Nellisir

Hero
Raymond Chandler is great. I made a point of reading everything of his I could find a few years ago. It was a good decision.
The only thing I have left of his to read is Poodle Springs, which is the unfinished manuscript he left behind when he died, and which was finished by Robert B. Parker. I have it on my shelf, but was waiting until I'd read The Little Sister to read it. From what I've heard, the Raymond Chandler part was/is (the first 4 chapters) a bit weird and clunky, but Parker turned it into a decent story. Will read it soon.

Lyrical. That suits. I certainly like reading, but it's a delight to read Chandler just for the sake of reading; to see the ebb and flow of his language as he writes.

Remove ads