OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einan

First Post
Was the unduplicated element in OD&D the fact that so much was determined by mere chance? Does this imply that removing DM control and placing more emphasis on random results would cause any version to have more of the thrill factor?

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Irda Ranger said:
Random Forum Generator (Tab. 12.5) - Roll 2d12%
1 - 15% - General
16 - 30% - 4th Edition
31 - 45% - D&D Rules
46 - 60% - House Rules
61 - 70% - Pathfinder, d20, etc.
71 - 80% - Plots, Places & Rogues
81-90% - Roll on the Industry Forums Table (Tab. 12.6)
91-95% - Roll on the Gaming Action Table (Tab. 12.7)
95-97% - Roll on the Non RPG-Specific Forums Table (Tab. 12.8)
97-99% - Roll on the Hosted Sites Table (Tab. 12.9)
00% - Roll on the Meta - Forums About Forums Table (Tab. 12.10)
101%+ - Roll Twice. Clone thread and move to both results.

01: 2d3 Type IV Demons are gated in. The thread is locked.
02: One Type [2d3] Demon is gated in. The second poster in the thread is banned from posting in that thread for 1d7 days.
03-07: Roll twice on the Hordelings table. Choose the taller of the two results. 3d12 posters are banned from posting in 1d14 threads for 7d2 days. The thread is relocated to the Moderator Schmoderator Forum.
08-10: Xvarts attack! For each thread, add two minor powers from Table 14a, and one major power from table 17c. All threads are relocated to the Archive, and filed under Moderator Forum.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Whoa, I better sneak this in before the thread gets closed.

There's a difference between the "out of game" loop and the "in game" loop. To me, it doesn't really matter how complicated character creation is - so long as it doesn't bog down the inner game loop, which is combat. When you've got all these modifiers and stacking/not stacking rules, and keeping track of durations of spell effects, and all this other crap, it can really bog down.

But having a nicely defined skill list and feat selection largely don't affect the in-game loop. Sure, it might make players take a little longer to decide on their action, but I think it does add a lot to the game.

I run, what I consider, to be an "old school" kind of game, but I've managed to do that within the 3.5 ruleset. Specifically, I've found the E6 ruleset, which I think accomplishes this very nicely, and very easily.

Furthermore, a few simple houserules, and the ability to "handwave" a lot of crap can really speed up play.

Lastly, I think "old school" is as much a feeling as it is a mechanic.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
mhensley said:
If there's one thing I learned over the years it's to play what your players want. Trying to make guys play a game they don't like leads to fail. If they're cool with OD&D, you're golden. If not, expect a lot of frustration on both sides.
Well, that's a given. RPGs are a group activity and the decision on what to play must be reached by consensus. The simple idea of forcing someone to play something is rather absurd to me...

Remathilis

Legend
threadrocks1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads